Download a pdf file it regulaly freezes

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Pdf
In summary, Greg's computer is not receiving information from the pdf file he is trying to download. He recommends installing Adobe Acrobat and changing his browser. Firebird, the 'small brother' of Mozilla, is very fast when downloading pdf files.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
hi.

when i try to download a pdf file it regulaly
freezes, it seems my computer is sending
information but not receiving, is it my computer,
i use acrobat and win XP, or the severs fault?
hope you can help as this getting to be annoying.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What browser are you using and does it freeze while downloading or when opening the pdf?

Do you save the pdf to file or open from a website?

hi GREG.

i use internet explorer, and i open file from
the web site. and it freezes when downloading.
i get the first page and that's all, but only
sometimes 1 out of 4 ish.

Last edited:
1) Have you tried reinstalling adobe acrobat?
2) Do you have the same problem when you save the pdf to your harddrive and then open it?

IE has had a history of freezing then downloading large pdfs. Do you know the size of the pdf your trying to download?

thanks for help GREG,
the last one i attempted was 19 pages
is that considered big? some of these PDFs
download much quicker than others
i have a love hate relationship with
computers.

My experience agrees with what Greg has said.
Wolram, I've noticed the problem with pdf files under four pages. My SOP is to download the files using a download manager program. This works very well for me.

Good luck

Originally posted by wolram
thanks for help GREG,
the last one i attempted was 19 pages
is that considered big? some of these PDFs
download much quicker than others
i have a love hate relationship with
computers.
The number of pages isn't necessarily related to file size. Try downloading it FIRST, then opening it from your hard drive.

thanks for the help everyone, downloading to hard drive
first works fine, seasons greetings to all.

What about Mozilla (or Firebird) ?

If you still insist on vewing the pdf files from your browser then consider changing your browser since IE has a lot of annoying bugs and it is rather slow. A combination of Adobe Reader 6 and Mozilla of version 1.4 or greater will do the job and you may also find out how faster the Mozilla browser is. Of course, if you don't want or need the extra software capabilities of Mozilla (email client,web page authoring tool,irc client etc.) and what you are really interested in is just the web browsing capabilities then you can download the Firebird which is the 'small brother' of Mozilla (includes only the browser). The latest version of firebird is 0.7, it is only 6 mbytes and you will really get amazed about how fast it loads and renders the pages. The homepage of mozilla (and firebird) is: http://www.mozilla.org
However, the choice is yours.

I don't know how many pdfs I've looked at online with my IE browse but it's an awful lot, and without any problems. I think it's much more likely to be his installation of Acrobat than the browser. He should bite the bullet and install acrobat 6.

Of course it could be the browser installation too. All my software is installed by my son, who _knows_ :=).

Sometimes Acrobat will asks you if you want to check for updates. But the dialog box loses focus and you don't know it's there. Acrobat waits till you click in the dialog box, making it seem like it has frozen up.

JMD

thanks for all your help and advice everyone.
i decided to download FIREBIRD and it is fantastic
pdf files download in a fraction of the time it
used to take, a 20 min download well worth the
time.:smile:

What causes a pdf file to freeze during download?

There are several potential causes for a pdf file to freeze during download. These may include slow internet connection, compatibility issues, corrupted file, or issues with the device or software being used to download the file.

How can I prevent a pdf file from freezing during download?

To prevent a pdf file from freezing during download, make sure you have a stable and fast internet connection. It is also important to use a reliable and updated device and software. Additionally, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies before attempting to download the file again.

What should I do if my pdf file freezes during download?

If your pdf file freezes during download, try refreshing the page or restarting your device. If the issue persists, try downloading the file using a different internet browser. You can also check for any available updates for your device and software.

Is there a specific time or day when pdf file downloads are more likely to freeze?

No, there is no specific time or day when pdf file downloads are more likely to freeze. However, if your internet connection is slower during peak hours or if you are using a shared network, it may affect the download speed and potentially cause the file to freeze.

Can I still access the pdf file if it freezes during download?

If the pdf file freezes during download, you may still be able to access it by locating the partial or incomplete download in your device's download folder. You can then try to resume the download or open the partial file using a pdf reader or converter.