Check if a scalar is an eigenvalue of a matrix

The matrix A must be so "special" that it has more than one eigenvector for that to happen. The question is "what does that have to do with the condition \det(A-I)= 0?" First, if A is not the identity matrix, then at least one of the vectors e_1, e_2, e_3, e_4 is not an eigenvector so the solution cannot be "unique". Second, if all of A(e_i)= e_i, then, for any vector v= xe_1+ ye_2+ ze_3+ we_4, Av= v is true- but that is the trivial solution unless at least one of x, y,
danielpanatha

Homework Statement

We have a matrix Anxn (different than the identity matrix I) and a scalar λ=1. We want to check if λ is an eigenvalue of A.

Homework Equations

As we know, in order for λ to be an eigenvalue of A, there has to be a non-zero vector v, such that Avv

The Attempt at a Solution

Avv
Av=1v
Av=v
A=I

But we know that A is different than I, so λ is not an eigenvalue of A.
Is my attempt right?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
danielpanatha said:

Homework Statement

We have a matrix Anxn (different than the identity matrix I) and a scalar λ=1. We want to check if λ is an eigenvalue of A.

Homework Equations

As we know, in order for λ to be an eigenvalue of A, there has to be a non-zero vector v, such that Avv

The Attempt at a Solution

Avv
Av=1v
Av=v
A=I

But we know that A is different than I, so λ is not an eigenvalue of A.
Is my attempt right?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Your last equation is nonsense. From Av = v you cannot conclude that A = I. All you can conclude is that v must be a solution of the homogeneous linear system (A-I)v = 0.

RGV

In particular, the only operations defined on a vector space are addition of vectors and multiplication or division by a scalar. You cannot "divide both sides" by a vector.

(If Av=Bv for all vectors, v, then you can conclude that A= B. But not if Av= Bv for some vector, v.)

In other words, you can't divide both sides of the equation by the vector [itex]v[/itex]. Linear operators like [itex]\underline A[/itex] may be written down using matrices and said to operate on vectors through matrix multiplication, but what's really going on is that [itex]A[/itex] is a linear function, which is why trying to factor [itex]v[/itex] from both sides is nonsense.

Eigenvalues satisfy the characteristic equation that [itex]\det (\underline A - \lambda \underline I) = 0[/itex].

(PS. In particular, a linear operator acting on a vector has a general form [itex]\underline A(v) = (v\cdot e_1)a + (v \cdot e_2)b + (v \cdot e_3)c + \ldots{}[/itex] where [itex]a,b,c[/itex] are vectors. Unless you know something about the structure of the operator, dividing both sides by a vector doesn't give you anything useful.)

Thank you all for your replies.
One last question:
If we think of this theoretically, in the equation Av=v, there has to be a matrix A that will be multiplied by v and the result will be the same vector v. I understand that we cannot divide both parts of the equation by v, but could you please give me an example with a non-identity matrix A and a non-zero vector v that satisfy the equation Av=v?

Sure. Consider a linear operator on [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex].

[tex]\underline A(e_1) = e_1 \\
\underline A(e_2) = -e_2 \\
\underline A(e_3) = e_3 \\
\underline A(e_4) = -e_4[/tex]

Any linear combination of [itex]e_1, e_3[/itex] is an eigenvector of this operator with eigenvalue 1.

Muphrid said:
Sure. Consider a linear operator on [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex].

[tex]\underline A(e_1) = e_1 \\
\underline A(e_2) = -e_2 \\
\underline A(e_3) = e_3 \\
\underline A(e_4) = -e_4[/tex]

Any linear combination of [itex]e_1, e_3[/itex] is an eigenvector of this operator with eigenvalue 1.

Thank you!

danielpanatha said:
I understand that we cannot divide both parts of the equation by v, but could you please give me an example with a non-identity matrix A and a non-zero vector v that satisfy the equation Av=v?
$$A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}$$
$$\lambda = 1, v = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
$$A = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1\\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}$$
$$\lambda = 1, v = \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}$$

Thanks!

If (A - I)v = 0, what condition needs to be satisfied in order for v not to have the trivial solution v = 0?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If (A - I)v = 0, what condition needs to be satisfied in order for v not to have the trivial solution v = 0?

Chet
If A - I is invertible, the only solution is v = 0.
If A - I does not have an inverse, then v = 0 is still a solution, but there are also nonzero solutions.

So in both cases, v = 0 is a solution. The only difference is whether that is the unique solution or it is one of an infinite number of solutions.

You can tell whether a square matrix is invertible -- its determinant is nonzero. If an inverse does not exist, the determinant is zero.

Mark44 said:
If A - I is invertible, the only solution is v = 0.
If A - I does not have an inverse, then v = 0 is still a solution, but there are also nonzero solutions.

So in both cases, v = 0 is a solution. The only difference is whether that is the unique solution or it is one of an infinite number of solutions.

You can tell whether a square matrix is invertible -- its determinant is nonzero. If an inverse does not exist, the determinant is zero.

Thanks Mark. That was the response I was trying to elicit from the OP.

Chet

Yes, but you phrased it poorly- by leaving out a single word! You said, "If (A - I)v = 0, what condition needs to be satisfied in order for v not to have the trivial solution v = 0?"

v= 0 is, as Mark44 said, always a solution. What you meant to say was, "If (A - I)v = 0, what condition needs to be satisfied in order for v not to have only the trivial solution v = 0?"

Notice, by the way, that the "eigenvalue" question is "existence and uniqueness" turned on its head. A solution, the trivial solution, always exists for the equation [itex]Av=\lambda v[/itex]. [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue if and only if that solution is NOT unique.

Related to Check if a scalar is an eigenvalue of a matrix

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue of a matrix is a scalar value that represents the magnitude of a particular vector in the matrix. It is often denoted as λ and is a crucial concept in linear algebra.

2. How do you check if a scalar is an eigenvalue of a matrix?

To check if a scalar is an eigenvalue of a matrix, you can use the eigenvalue equation: Ax = λx, where A is the matrix, x is the vector, and λ is the eigenvalue. You can then solve for λ and see if the scalar value matches the solution.

3. Can a matrix have more than one eigenvalue?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple eigenvalues. In fact, the number of eigenvalues of a matrix is equal to its dimension. For example, a 3x3 matrix can have up to 3 distinct eigenvalues.

4. How are eigenvalues used in real-world applications?

Eigenvalues are used in a variety of applications, such as image processing, data compression, and physics. They are particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the behavior of dynamical systems.

5. Is there a way to find all the eigenvalues of a matrix?

Yes, there are several methods for finding all the eigenvalues of a matrix, including the characteristic polynomial method and the power iteration method. These methods involve solving equations and iterating through the matrix until all eigenvalues are found.