Cheap way to get a CAD programme?

• Thread starter streeters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cad
In summary: Jim HackneyIn summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a cheap or open source CAD program. They mention not wanting to resort to piracy and ask for recommendations. Various options are suggested, including SolidEdge 2D, ProgeCAD, and Cadopia. Someone also mentions that intellicad does a better job of reading DXF files than AutoCAD. The original person clarifies that they are looking for opinions from people who have used the programs.
streeters
Is there a cheap (or OS) CAD programme that one of you could recommend?
If, indeed, such a thing exists. I can't really justify £1,300 for AutoCAD.

I'm trying really hard not to resort to piracy (sort of a New Year's resolution).

Physics news on Phys.org
streeters said:
Is there a cheap (or OS) CAD programme

Google says " Results 1 - 10 of about 2,050,000 for open source cad. (0.19 seconds) ". Perhaps one of those will suit your needs, whatever they are.

http://www.progesoft.com/ or http://www.cadopia.com/ is about $200-$350 and is probably the best cheap autocad clones.
They are based on the same intellicad CAD library with different front ends. They read/write Autocad and have the same Autocad commands

In fact intellicad does a better job of reading DXF than Autocad - we use it to translate bad DXF files from some GIS apps

This used to be the best round up of cheap/free cad
http://www.eland.org.uk/pages/Misc/cadnotes.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:
Google says " Results 1 - 10 of about 2,050,000 for open source cad. (0.19 seconds) ". Perhaps one of those will suit your needs, whatever they are.

Thanks for trying to help. You did your best.

I didn't really want to trawl through 2,050,000 pages. Rather, I was after some opinion on which was a good quality option by those who had used one.

Thanks mgb_phys, TVP45

Related to Cheap way to get a CAD programme?

1. Can I find a free CAD program?

Yes, there are several free CAD programs available online. Some popular options include FreeCAD, DraftSight, and LibreCAD.

2. Are there any CAD programs that offer a free trial?

Yes, many CAD programs offer a free trial period for users to test out the software before purchasing. Some examples include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and SketchUp.

3. How can I get a discounted CAD program?

You can often find discounted CAD programs through educational institutions or student discounts. Some companies also offer discounts for purchasing multiple licenses or upgrading from a previous version.

4. Is it possible to find a CAD program for under $100?

Yes, there are some CAD programs available for under $100. However, these may have limited features and may not be suitable for professional use. It's important to research and compare different options before making a purchase.

5. Can I use a web-based CAD program instead of downloading software?

Yes, there are web-based CAD programs available that do not require downloading any software. However, these may have limited features and may not be as powerful as downloaded software. It's important to consider your specific needs before choosing a CAD program.