Chartered Engineer (CEng) UK Assistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's plan to apply for Chartership in the UK despite living in the US and not knowing any CEng's in the UK to be their Proposer. It is mentioned that the individual's doctorate was from the UK and they have family there. The advice given is to register with the relevant professional body, do a direct application, and make sure they have enough experience in the competency areas listed in UK-SPEC. It is also suggested to contact the Engineering Council for assistance and to check if there are any accreditation issues with their degrees. The conversation ends with the assurance that as long as the individual's experience and qualifications are up to scratch, it should not be a problem to apply for Charters
mike1969
I was conferred my Doctor of Engineering (EngD) in Nov. 2011. I am now planning to apply for Chartership in the UK; however I live in the U.S. and do not know any other CEng's in the UK to be my Proposer! Any advice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you live in the US why are you going for Chartered status with the UK Engineering Council?

My doctorate was from the UK. I still have amily there and I am applying for posts in the UK, EU and Arica.

Well the first step would be to register with the relevant professional body, IMechE or similar.
You'll need to do a direct application, and decide if you have enough experience in all the competency areas in the UK-SPEC.

Your best bet really is just contacting the Engineering Council, being overseas there may be some hoops to jump through.

I don't see why you would go to all the trouble though, depending where you got them and what your degrees are, it may be tricky due to accreditation issues.

Last edited:
Should not be a problem, providing your experience and qualifications are up to scratch. Most of the relevant institutions have all the necessary information on their websites, and representatives to help with exactly this stuff. Have you looked or enquired?

Related to Chartered Engineer (CEng) UK Assistance

1. What is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in the UK?

A Chartered Engineer (CEng) is a professional engineer who has met the requirements set by the Engineering Council in the United Kingdom. This title is recognized internationally and is a mark of competence and professionalism in the field of engineering.

2. How do I become a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in the UK?

To become a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in the UK, you must have an accredited engineering degree, have relevant work experience, and demonstrate your competence through a professional review process. This process may also include an interview and a written submission.

3. What are the benefits of becoming a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in the UK?

Becoming a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in the UK can bring many benefits, including recognition of your professional competence, increased career opportunities, and international recognition. It can also help you demonstrate your commitment to the engineering profession and your ongoing professional development.

4. Can I apply for Chartered Engineer (CEng) UK assistance if I have a non-UK engineering degree?

Yes, you can still apply for Chartered Engineer (CEng) UK assistance if you have a non-UK engineering degree. However, you may need to provide additional evidence to demonstrate that your degree is equivalent to an accredited UK engineering degree.

5. Is there a deadline for applying for Chartered Engineer (CEng) UK assistance?

There is no set deadline for applying for Chartered Engineer (CEng) UK assistance. However, it is recommended to start the application process as early as possible, as it can take several months to complete and be approved. It is also important to note that you must meet the requirements for Chartered Engineer (CEng) before applying for assistance.