Charging laptop and phone while travelling

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a portable and lightweight charging solution for a laptop and phone while backpacking. The options of using solar or wind power are considered, but it is determined that solar is the best option. The conversation also explores the possibility of using a tablet instead of a laptop to save on power consumption. The idea of using a standard phone instead of a smartphone is also suggested. The conversation ends with a recommendation to research and find the best products for the desired solution.
Alexander D
Not your typical Electrical Engineering post I'm sure but there is so much misinformation out there and I'm sure there would be some interesting applications for others here.

I'd like to be able to charge not only my current laptop (standard Gigabyte 15 inch) and phone (HTC Desire) but future ones as well while backpacking, so obviously size is of the upmost importance. Hopefully something around 1-2kg and maybe 0.001m^3. I would hope for maybe 2-5 extra charges on the laptop and phone. This might be completely unrealistic.

The standard laptop is 19V, the standard phone is 5V.

It's about 1-1.5Ah for a phone, about 6-8Ah for the laptop. Laptop I imagine would charge with a general power outlet (I'm in Australia, but hopefully the principles or recommended product would apply) and the phone could be as well at separate times, or even better would be a USB charger on the side. I'm not opposed to using solar technology either, or a combination of solar and rechargable batteries.

Any ideas for optimising cost, size, durability, ability to charge 19VDC and 5VDC, take an Australian power plug and possibly USB?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Alexander
welcome to PF and greetings from Sydney

you said this is to be used whilst out backpacking ... so I would have to assume that means you are out in the bush with no normal power supplies available.

That means your only 2 significant power sources abailable would be solar or wind generator. Neither of these are going to have the capability of supplying enought current to charge a laptop battery and still remail portable and light enough to backpack.
On the other hand a well chosen solar panel may well produce enough voltage and current to easily charger your HTC ... hey good fone by the way, have been using the HTC Desire HD for about a year and a half :)

cheers
Dave

There are many solar cell panels available that will 'roll up' for carrying or that you could drape over the top of your pack. The best solution for you would depend upon how long you would need to be using the equipment per day.
I have an HTC Desire and it is the greediest thing you could imagine in its use of the battery. If you want phone communication out in the wilds, you could do much better with a normal (not-so-smart) phone - which would easily be kept charged with a sensible size of PV panel- available all over the place, actually.

As far as your laptop is concerned, I might suggest that a small tablet would satisfy many requirements and use much less power. Bearing in mind the cost (and weight) of high power solar panels, you may be able to sort yourself out with a total solution that wouldn't cost so much more but could give you more operating time and not give you a hernia.
Do you really need a smart phone AND a computer? I ask this because, over the years, I have realized that backpacking becomes more and more pleasurable the less you are actually carrying!

davenn said:
you said this is to be used whilst out backpacking ... so I would have to assume that means you are out in the bush with no normal power supplies available.

That means your only 2 significant power sources abailable would be solar or wind generator. Neither of these are going to have the capability of supplying enought current to charge a laptop battery and still remail portable and light enough to backpack.
On the other hand a well chosen solar panel may well produce enough voltage and current to easily charger your HTC ... hey good fone by the way, have been using the HTC Desire HD for about a year and a half :)

Great phone. My battery life has gone to ****, thinking about replacing it. I had considered a rechargable battery/ies of sorts. I could charge at the backpackers and then put it in my bag. Wouldn't consider wind power, solar could work but I just don't know where the bang for buck is!

sophiecentaur said:
There are many solar cell panels available that will 'roll up' for carrying or that you could drape over the top of your pack. The best solution for you would depend upon how long you would need to be using the equipment per day. Any links to such products that you know are good value for money?
I have an HTC Desire and it is the greediest thing you could imagine in its use of the battery. If you want phone communication out in the wilds, you could do much better with a normal (not-so-smart) phone - which would easily be kept charged with a sensible size of PV panel- available all over the place, actually.

As far as your laptop is concerned, I might suggest that a small tablet would satisfy many requirements and use much less power. Bearing in mind the cost (and weight) of high power solar panels, you may be able to sort yourself out with a total solution that wouldn't cost so much more but could give you more operating time and not give you a hernia.
Do you really need a smart phone AND a computer? I ask this because, over the years, I have realized that backpacking becomes more and more pleasurable the less you are actually carrying! All great points actually. I could go naked with a keycard, but I'd just like to know I can always get emergency help and booking flights and getting around is soooo much easier with an internet connection. Maybe I could get the iPhone 4S and a Telstra plan (Bluetick in Australia which means one of the best for reception) and a spare battery and a little charger and be done with it. I was just hoping to do some graphic art work with the Adobe Creative Suit on the road.

Would love to see some actual products you guys reccomend!

Did you not try Google? That's all that I did.
I have been keeping an eye out on ebay for a cheap, rugged solar panel for my boat (connected 24/7 to trickle charge my two 90Ah batteries - so a different problem). There are always interesting items to suit various applications.

As usual, the nicest solution is usually the most expensive. I should say that good phone connection is top of the priority list if you are really off the beaten track. I think you must be young and fit if you have the energy to do art work after a day's walking. Food and sleep is all I'm ever fit for!

Strange to say, I've moved from minimal backpacking to a sailing cruiser - which has room for just about every creature comfort you could ever want. Same problems seem to apply though - money and time!

You are not Robinson Caruso. :smile: To use solar panels while trekking, they need to be exposed as you walk, and may be too fragile to risk falls or knocks. I recall one avid walker who equipped himself with a foldable windmill—because he was in a windy (maybe coastal) area where he could set it up outside his tent and it would charge his gear overnight.

Related to Charging laptop and phone while travelling

1. How can I charge my laptop and phone while travelling?

There are a few options for charging your laptop and phone while travelling. One option is to use a portable power bank, which can be charged before your trip and then used to charge your devices on the go. Another option is to use a car charger if you will be driving. You can also bring along a universal adapter to use in different countries.

2. Can I use any outlet to charge my laptop and phone while travelling?

No, not all outlets are the same. Different countries have different types of outlets, so it's important to research the type of outlet used in the country you will be travelling to. You may need to use a universal adapter to be able to charge your devices.

3. Is it safe to charge my laptop and phone while travelling?

Yes, it is generally safe to charge your laptop and phone while travelling. However, it's important to be cautious and use reputable charging devices to avoid any potential damage to your devices. It's also a good idea to keep an eye on your devices while they are charging in case of any issues.

4. How can I conserve battery life while travelling?

To conserve battery life while travelling, you can turn off any unnecessary features on your devices such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and location services. You can also lower the screen brightness and close any unused apps. It's also a good idea to bring along a portable power bank as a backup.

5. Can I use my laptop and phone while they are charging?

Yes, you can use your laptop and phone while they are charging. However, it's important to note that it may take longer for your devices to fully charge if you are using them at the same time. Additionally, using your devices while they are charging may cause them to heat up, so be sure to monitor them closely.