Charging a system of metal rods

In summary: Actually i need very less out of the problem, i just need to find out the maximum amount of charge possible on the rod, even a rough estimate and then i will charge it with somewhat lesser charge than the acquired answer, but to find out that rough estimate i am not sure if infinite rod estimation will be of any actual use, if someone can even just give a way to find out an assuring approximation of max. charge so that i can start building a model, it would be great.
rijulg
I am trying to charge a system of two metal rods, of definite length, placed a certain distance apart. But before setting up the rods and hooking them to any battery, i wish to know the magnitude of charge that will be accumulated on the rods and what is the maximum possible charge on the rods, so as to just prevent electrical discharge

Physics news on Phys.org
we know that field of a charged rod (infinite, or finite near center) is ~ E= λ/(2πϵr), and maximum possible electric field is 3 x 10^6 N/C, so putting the values we get relation between λ and r, knowing length of rod, we can calculate maximum charge on one rod with respect to radius of cross section of rod. But i doubt the applicability and validity of this method

rijulg said:
But i doubt the applicability and validity of this method

Why?

jtbell said:
Why?

because this approximation is for infinite charge rod, and for a finite charge rod, the field might be more on the axis, so when i will charge my rod according to calculations of infinite rod, it may discharge from the axis

Ah, I overlooked the "definite length" in your first post. It seems you want the electric field at all points near a cylinder with given length. This is not a simple problem, even if the cylinder has a circular cross-section (the most symmetric situation) and the charge is uniform. The field does not have the same strength or direction everywhere on the surface. It's not like an infinite circular cylinder where you can assume the field is perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder.

Also, you're using conducting (metal) rods, which means the charge is not uniformly distributed. It's all at the surface of the rods, and with probably a higher (surface) charge density near the ends of the rod.

I think you have to solve Laplace's equation numerically for the electric potential, with the condition that the surfaces of the rods are equipotentials, then find the electric field by taking the gradient of the potential. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

jtbell said:
Ah, I overlooked the "definite length" in your first post. It seems you want the electric field at all points near a cylinder with given length. This is not a simple problem, even if the cylinder has a circular cross-section (the most symmetric situation) and the charge is uniform. The field does not have the same strength or direction everywhere on the surface. It's not like an infinite circular cylinder where you can assume the field is perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder.

Also, you're using conducting (metal) rods, which means the charge is not uniformly distributed. It's all at the surface of the rods, and with probably a higher (surface) charge density near the ends of the rod.

I think you have to solve Laplace's equation numerically for the electric potential, with the condition that the surfaces of the rods are equipotentials, then find the electric field by taking the gradient of the potential. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Actually i need very less out of the problem, i just need to find out the maximum amount of charge possible on the rod, even a rough estimate and then i will charge it with somewhat lesser charge than the acquired answer, but to find out that rough estimate i am not sure if infinite rod estimation will be of any actual use, if someone can even just give a way to find out an assuring approximation of max. charge so that i can start building a model, it would be great

Related to Charging a system of metal rods

1. How do you charge a system of metal rods?

To charge a system of metal rods, you can use a power source, such as a battery, to connect to the metal rods. This will create a flow of electrons, resulting in a charge on the rods.

2. What happens when you charge a system of metal rods?

When you charge a system of metal rods, the rods will become positively or negatively charged, depending on the direction of the electron flow. This charge will remain on the rods until it is discharged.

3. Can a system of metal rods hold a charge?

Yes, a system of metal rods can hold a charge. The charge will stay on the rods until it is discharged or transferred to another object.

4. How can you measure the charge on a system of metal rods?

The charge on a system of metal rods can be measured using a device called an electrometer. This device measures the electric potential difference between the rods and can determine the amount of charge present.

5. What factors can affect the charging of a system of metal rods?

The charging of a system of metal rods can be affected by various factors, including the type and amount of metal used, the type of power source, and the presence of other conductive materials nearby.