Charging a capacitor in a tesla coil

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of charging a capacitor using AC voltage. The concern is that the capacitor may not have enough time to charge due to the constantly switching voltage. However, further investigation reveals that it is actually pulsed DC that is used and high frequency capacitors are available for this purpose.
p75213
Can somebody explain how it is possible to charge a capacitor using ac voltage? The way I see it is the capacitor wouldn't have time to charge as the voltage is constantly switching. In the case of 60Hz - 120 times a second.
I have attached a schematic of a tesla coil which is how I come to think about it.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 May. 27 13.45.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 May. 27 13.45.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 964
Physics news on Phys.org
and if the cap charges quickly but discharges slowly...

I have made some enquiries and it appears that it is not AC voltage but rather pulsed DC.

You have the same issue - when the pulse is low the cap can discharge.

Simon Bridge said:
You have the same issue - when the pulse is low the cap can discharge.

Your right. It must be a capacitor which operates at high frequencies. I don't have any practical experience so I never new such capacitors were available until I had a look around the net.

Related to Charging a capacitor in a tesla coil

1. How does a tesla coil charge a capacitor?

The tesla coil charges a capacitor by using a high voltage transformer to create a high frequency alternating current, which is then passed through a spark gap to create a strong electrical field that charges the capacitor.

2. Why is it important to charge a capacitor in a tesla coil?

Charging a capacitor in a tesla coil is important because it stores the energy that will be released in the form of a high voltage, high frequency electrical discharge. This discharge is what creates the iconic lightning-like sparks of the tesla coil.

3. How long does it take to charge a capacitor in a tesla coil?

The time it takes to charge a capacitor in a tesla coil can vary depending on the size and capacity of the capacitor, as well as the power and design of the tesla coil. Typically, it can take anywhere from a few milliseconds to a few seconds.

4. Can a charged capacitor in a tesla coil be dangerous?

Yes, a charged capacitor in a tesla coil can be dangerous if not handled properly. The high voltage and current produced by the tesla coil can cause electric shock, burns, and other serious injuries. It is important to always use caution and follow safety precautions when working with a tesla coil and its components.

5. How can I safely discharge a charged capacitor in a tesla coil?

To safely discharge a charged capacitor in a tesla coil, you can use a discharge stick or a grounding wire to connect the two terminals of the capacitor. It is important to make sure that the tesla coil is turned off and unplugged before attempting to discharge the capacitor. Additionally, it is recommended to wear insulated gloves and eye protection when handling a charged capacitor.