Charged Sphere sliced, force required to keep them as they were

In summary: So, in summary, to solve this problem, you would need to know Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, and the concept of electric field.
AGNuke
Gold Member
A metallic sphere of radius R is cut in two parts along a plane whose minimum distance from the sphere's centre is h and the sphere is uniformly charged by a total electric charge Q. What minimum force is necessary to hold the two parts of the sphere together?

The Real trivia
The solution which we were "encouraged" to come up was using a term called "electric pressure", defined as the electrostatic force per unit area. By multiplying it with the base area of the cross-section obtained after slicing the sphere, I got the answer.

[tex]P_{el}=\frac{\sigma ^{2}}{2\varepsilon _{0}}; \; \sigma =\frac{Q}{4\pi R^2}[/tex]
[tex]F_{el}=P_{el}\times S; \; S=\pi(R^2-h^2)[/tex]
[tex]F_{el}=\frac{\frac{Q^2}{16\pi^2R^4}}{2\varepsilon_{0}}\times \pi(R^2-h^2)=\frac{Q^2(R^2-h^2)}{32\pi\varepsilon_{0}R^4}[/tex]

Now I actually didn't get the concept here, what was that supposed to mean. Isn't there a conventional way to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi AGNuke. I'm not too clear on what specific question you are asking. Are you asking why the pressure is given by σ2/2εo or are you asking why the force is given by F = P*[itex]\pi[/itex](R2-h2)? Or are you asking something else?

The expression for the pressure can be obtained in a fairly conventional way by considering the force on a small patch of area of the surface of a charged conductor.

TSny, I am sorry if I was unable to convey my question properly, but I am asking that can I solve this question using coulomb's law and some other textbook stuff like properties of conductors, etc.?

I mean, if I don't know the concept of electric field (which I am still trying to justify, even if for a sphere), can I solve it? If so, then what should I do? (Coulomb's Law?)

A direct integration using Coulomb's law is a bit messy. Using the following concepts involving electric field makes it a lot easier:

(1) The relation between force and electric field: F = qE

(2) The relation between electric field at the surface of a conductor and the charge density: E = σ/εo

(3) The electric field produced by a large flat sheet of uniform charge density: E = σ/2εo

The latter 2 properties are easily derived from Gauss' law.

I can provide a different approach to solving this problem. Instead of using the concept of electric pressure, we can use the principle of conservation of energy. The minimum force required to hold the two parts of the sphere together is equal to the change in potential energy when the sphere is sliced and brought back together.

The potential energy of a charged sphere is given by U = kQ^2/R, where k is the Coulomb constant. When the sphere is sliced, the potential energy of each half becomes U/2. When the two halves are brought back together, the potential energy becomes U again.

Therefore, the change in potential energy is U - U/2 = U/2. This change in potential energy is equal to the work done by the external force to hold the two parts together.

Thus, the minimum force required is given by F = U/2h, where h is the distance between the two parts of the sphere. Substituting the value of U, we get F = kQ^2/2Rh.

This approach provides a more intuitive understanding of the minimum force required to hold the two parts of the charged sphere together. It also avoids the use of electric pressure, which may not be a concept familiar to all scientists.

Related to Charged Sphere sliced, force required to keep them as they were

1. What is a charged sphere?

A charged sphere is a physical object that has a net electric charge. This means that it has either gained or lost electrons, resulting in an imbalance of positive or negative charges on its surface.

2. How is a charged sphere sliced?

A charged sphere can be sliced by cutting it into smaller pieces using a sharp object, such as a knife or a razor blade. This will result in each smaller piece having its own net charge.

3. What happens when a charged sphere is sliced?

When a charged sphere is sliced, the net charge of the original sphere is divided among the smaller pieces. Each smaller piece will have its own electric field and will interact with other charged objects in its vicinity.

4. What force is required to keep the charged spheres in their sliced form?

The force required to keep the charged spheres in their sliced form will depend on the strength of the electric field between the smaller pieces. The closer the pieces are to each other, the stronger the electric field and the greater the force required to keep them in place.

5. Can the charged spheres be reassembled back into their original form?

Yes, the charged spheres can be reassembled back into their original form by placing the smaller pieces in close proximity to each other. The electric field between the pieces will cause them to attract and come back together, resulting in the original charged sphere.