Charged ball within spherical shell charge problem

In summary, the three situations given involve a small charged ball inside a metallic spherical shell with varying net charges on the ball and shell. Part a asks to rank the situations according to the charge on the inner surface of the shell, with most positive first. Part b asks for a ranking based on the charge on the outer surface. Using Gauss's Law, it was found that for part b, all three situations have equal amounts of charge on the outer surface. For part a, the rankings would be 3>1>2, with situation 3 having the most positive charge on the inner surface, followed by situation 1, and then situation 2.
Tilted

Homework Statement

A small charged ball lies within the hollow of a metallic spherical shell of radius R. Here, for three situations, are the net charges on the ball and shell, respectively:

1 +4q, 0
2 -6q, +10q
3 +16q, -12q

(a) Rank the situations according to the charge on the inner surface of the shell, most positive first (use only the symbols > or =, for example 2=3>1).
Incorrect: Your answer is incorrect.

(b) Rank the situations according to the charge on the outer surface, most positive first (use only the symbols > or =, for example 2=3>1).

The attempt at a solution

I found part b.) to be 1=2=3 but I'm not sure how I would go about doing part a.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Tilted said:

Homework Statement

A small charged ball lies within the hollow of a metallic spherical shell of radius R. Here, for three situations, are the net charges on the ball and shell, respectively:

1 +4q, 0
2 -6q, +10q
3 +16q, -12q

(a) Rank the situations according to the charge on the inner surface of the shell, most positive first (use only the symbols > or =, for example 2=3>1).
Incorrect: Your answer is incorrect.

(b) Rank the situations according to the charge on the outer surface, most positive first (use only the symbols > or =, for example 2=3>1).

The attempt at a solution

I found part b.) to be 1=2=3 but I'm not sure how I would go about doing part a.)
What do you get for the amount of charge on the inner surface of the shell in each case?

(Use Gauss's Law.)

Related to Charged ball within spherical shell charge problem

1. What is the concept behind the charged ball within spherical shell charge problem?

The charged ball within spherical shell charge problem is a common problem in electrostatics that involves a charged ball placed inside a larger, hollow, spherical shell with a different charge. The goal is to calculate the electric field and potential at different points within and outside of the shell.

2. How is the electric field calculated for this problem?

The electric field is calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. This allows for the calculation of the electric field at any point within or outside the shell.

3. What is the significance of this problem in electrostatics?

The charged ball within spherical shell charge problem is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and potential in a system with multiple charges. It also demonstrates the concept of charge distribution and how it affects the electric field and potential at different points in space.

4. How does the charge distribution affect the electric field and potential in this problem?

The charge distribution within and outside of the spherical shell affects the electric field and potential at different points. The electric field is stronger at points closer to the charged ball, while the potential is higher at points farther away. The charge distribution also determines the direction of the electric field lines.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this problem?

Yes, the charged ball within spherical shell charge problem has real-world applications in the design of electrical systems, such as capacitors and lightning rods. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electric fields in charged particles and how they interact with each other.