Charge Volume Density To Charge Per Unit Length

You get the linear charge density.In summary, the conversation involves finding the linear charge density from the charge volume density and calculating the total charge and volume of a sphere. The process involves multiplying the volume density by pi and the difference between the outer and inner radii. The complete answer should also include the linear charge density of the wire.
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/VzZjSEH

I took a screen shot so I did not leave anything out.

Homework Equations

Surface area, and volume of a sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the linear charge density from the charge volume density. I got it explained from a friend. It was right, but made no sense. He did it by taking the volume density, and multiplying it by the charge volume density by pi, and (outer r2 - inner r2).

So he did -657 * pi * (.0422 - .0262)

Can someone explain to me how this is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the total charge per unit length due to the outer insulator. Charge = voume charge density x volume. The volume of the insulator is pi(r2^2 - r1^2) x 1 unit length. Multiply by the charge density rho and you have your answer.

Of course, the complete answer must include the linear charge density of the wire as well.

Calculate the total charge Q of a length ##l## of the insulator. Then divide Q by ##l##.

Related to Charge Volume Density To Charge Per Unit Length

What is charge volume density?

Charge volume density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume in a given region. It is typically represented by the symbol ρ.

How is charge volume density calculated?

Charge volume density is calculated by dividing the total charge in a given region by the volume of that region. The formula for charge volume density is ρ = Q/V, where Q is the total charge and V is the volume.

What is charge per unit length?

Charge per unit length is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit length along a line or wire. It is typically represented by the symbol λ.

How is charge per unit length related to charge volume density?

Charge per unit length can be calculated from charge volume density by multiplying it by the cross-sectional area of the wire or line. The formula for charge per unit length is λ = ρA, where A is the cross-sectional area.

What are the units for charge volume density and charge per unit length?

The units for charge volume density are coulombs per cubic meter (C/m^3), while the units for charge per unit length are coulombs per meter (C/m). Both of these units are derived from the fundamental unit of electric charge, the coulomb (C).