Charge on a nonconducting rod with a conducting shell

In summary, the charge density on the outer surface of the conducting cylindrical shell is 3.36673918E-9 C/m^2.
reising1
A charge of uniform linear density 2.20 nano Coulombs per meter is distributed along a long, thin, nonconducting rod. The rod is coaxial with a long conducting cylindrical shell (inner radius = .0600 m, outer radius = .104 m). The net charge on the shell is zero.

a) What is the magnitude (in N/C) of the electric field at distance r = 16.4 cm from the axis of the shell.
b) What is the charge density on the inner surface of the shell?
c) What is the charge density on the outer surface of the shell?

So that is the full question.
I just need help with part C. I figured out the answer to part a and b. Any insight on part C. I'm thinking it might be 0, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
reising1 said:
The net charge on the shell is zero.
What does that tell you?

Does this mean the charge on the inside of the shell is equal but opposite to the charge on the outside of the shell? So that the answer to C would be the same as B except negated?

reising1 said:
Does this mean the charge on the inside of the shell is equal but opposite to the charge on the outside of the shell?
Yes.
So that the answer to C would be the same as B except negated?
No. Beware: They are asking for the charge density (charge per unit area), not the charge.

But what about the fact that the radius is different on the outer surface. To compute letter B, the charge on the inside, I used the radius.

Specifically, for letter B, I computed the surface charge density as

total charge = -(2)(pi)(r)(surface charge density)
2.20 micro Coloumbs = (2)(pi)(.060 m)(surface charge density)
thus,
surface charge density on the inner surface = -5.835E-9

So, would I do this same thing to calculate the surface charge density on the outer surface, except use (.104 m) as the radius?

reising1 said:
So, would I do this same thing to calculate the surface charge density on the outer surface, except use (.104 m) as the radius?
Exactly.

That is exactly what I did. But the answer is wrong. Should the answer be negative or positive?

I got -3.36673918E-9 C/M^2

Just to clarify the computation, I did:

surface charge density = (-2.0E-9 C/m) / (2*pi*.104 m)
That is how I got the -3.36673918E-9 C/M^2

But the answer is wrong.

reising1 said:
That is exactly what I did. But the answer is wrong. Should the answer be negative or positive?
Positive. The inner surface charge is negative to balance out the rod's positive charge. The charge per unit length on the inner and outer surfaces must add to zero, since the shell has zero net charge.

Related to Charge on a nonconducting rod with a conducting shell

What is the charge on a nonconducting rod with a conducting shell?

The charge on a nonconducting rod with a conducting shell is typically zero. This is because the conducting shell acts as a Faraday cage, meaning that any excess charge on the nonconducting rod is evenly distributed on the outer surface of the conducting shell.

Can a nonconducting rod have a charge?

Yes, a nonconducting rod can have a charge. However, this charge will only exist on the surface of the rod and will not be able to flow through the material of the rod.

How does the charge on a nonconducting rod affect the conducting shell?

If there is a charge on the nonconducting rod, it will induce an equal and opposite charge on the inner surface of the conducting shell. This is a result of the principle of charge conservation.

What happens if the conducting shell is removed from the nonconducting rod?

If the conducting shell is removed from the nonconducting rod, the charge on the rod will remain the same. However, the electric field around the rod will become distorted and may cause the charge to distribute differently on the surface of the rod.

How does the shape of the conducting shell affect the charge on the nonconducting rod?

The shape of the conducting shell does not affect the charge on the nonconducting rod. As long as the shell completely surrounds the rod, the charge will be evenly distributed on the outer surface of the shell.