Charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting s

In summary, the electric fields on the three regions as divided by the sheets are the correct answer, but I really don't understand how/why this method works and my naive attempt at solving this problem comes out to be very wrong.
amind
Problem:
Consider two parallel and large sheets with a surface area
gif.latex?A.gif
. One has a charge
gif.latex?q.gif
and the other is uncharged.
Code:
q
|       |
|       |
|       |
|       |
|       |
What would be the electric fields on the three regions as divided by the sheets ?

General solution to problems like as told by my teacher:
Find the sum of the charges on all of the sheets, and assign half of the net charge to the two extreme surfaces, then working you way from one side, assign charges on each surface such that two opposite surfaces have charges of equal magnitude but different sign, and that the sum of charges on both the surfaces of a sheet is equal to the charge given to it in the problem.

Using this principle, it is trivial to find a solution to this problem, distribution of charge:
Code:
+q/2 +q/2    -q/2  +q/2
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
The surface charge densities and thus the electric field dictated by this distribution is indeed the correct answer.
However, I really don't understand how/why this method works and my naive attempt at solving this problem comes out to be very wrong.

Here's my attempt:
The charge on one sheet would induce some charge of opposite polarity on the opposite end. I recall a similar situation where two conducting sheets have opposite charges, the charges are concentrated only on the inner surface resulting in 0 electric fields outside the sheets. Thus, I reason that the charge on the outer surfaces of both the sheets in this case would be 0, and on the inner surfaces it would be
gif.latex?+q.gif
and
gif.latex?-q.gif
respectively.

So, someone please help, where did I go wrong ? How (or should I say 'Why') does my teacher's rule follow ?

Physics news on Phys.org
One sheet was specified to be uncharged.
Then you can't have a charge q (or -q) on one surface and zero charge on the
other surface without creating charge from nothing.

Oh yeah, I messed that up while posting.
"...Thus, I reason that the charge on the outer surface of the charged sheet in this case would be 0, and on the inner surfaces of both would be
gif.gif
and
gif.gif
respectively and charge on the outer surface of the uncharged sheet would be +q".
i.e.
Code:
   0  +q        -q  +q 
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
How about now ?

amind said:
Oh yeah, I messed that up while posting.
"...Thus, I reason that the charge on the outer surface of the charged sheet in this case would be 0, and on the inner surfaces of both would be
gif.gif
and
gif.gif
respectively and charge on the outer surface of the uncharged sheet would be +q".
i.e.
Code:
   0  +q        -q  +q
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
     |             |
How about now ?
No, it is not correct. You can think a couple of reasons why the teacher's approach is correct.
The charge redistributes in a way that makes the potential energy lowest.

From very far away, the two conducting plates look as one with a net charge q. You know that the electric field of a single plate is symmetric, with magnitude σ/(2ε0) on both sides. That means, that q/2 charge is on both outer surfaces.
You can apply the superposition principle to solve such problems. A plane distribution of charge with q/A=σ charge per unit area has electrix field σ/(2ε0) pointing away of the plane, and it goes through the plane of the other plate. The uncharged plate has no contribution to the electric field. So the field of the arrangement will look like as shown in the figure,

upload_2015-11-16_9-19-17.png

Likes amind
Thanks! You made it really clear!

Related to Charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting s

1. What is charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates?

The charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates refers to the way in which electric charge is distributed across the surface of the plates. This is typically caused by the presence of an electric field, which can either attract or repel charged particles, causing them to accumulate on one side of the plate.

2. How does the charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates affect the electric field between them?

The charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates directly affects the electric field between them. When there is a difference in charge between the plates, an electric field is created, causing the plates to attract or repel each other. The strength of the electric field is determined by the amount and distribution of charge on the plates.

3. What factors influence the charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates?

The charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates is influenced by several factors, including the distance between the plates, the material of the plates, and the magnitude of the charge. The shape of the plates and any external electric fields can also impact the charge distribution.

4. How does the charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates affect the capacitance between them?

The charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates is directly related to the capacitance between them. The greater the charge distribution, the higher the capacitance due to the increased ability of the plates to store electric charge. The distance between the plates also affects the capacitance, as a larger distance leads to a weaker electric field and lower capacitance.

5. Can the charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates be changed?

Yes, the charge distribution on the surfaces of parallel conducting plates can be changed by altering the factors that influence it, such as the distance between the plates or the amount of charge on them. Additionally, external electric fields can be used to manipulate the charge distribution on the plates.