Charge Distribution Inside a Conductive Shell: Solving the Homework Question

In summary, when a ball with a charge of Q is placed inside a conductive shell with an inner radius of 3R and outer radius of 4R, the shell will have a charge of -4Q. The charge on the inner radius will be -Q and the charge on the outer radius will be -3Q, as predicted by Gauss' Law.
Dell
a ball with a radius R and a charge of +Q is placed inside a conductive shell with an inner radius of 3R and outer radius of 4R, the shell has a charge of -4Q, after the ball is placed inside what will the charge on each radius be??

i thought (intuition) that if i place a ball with a charge of Q then more electrons will come to the inner radius making the 3R have a charge of -3Q and the 4R a charge of -Q,... (since at the beginning there was a total of -4Q)

by using gauss surface , and taking a spherical surface with a radius of just more than 3R, then EA=0=Q+(xQ), giving me the result that x=-1, therefore the inner radius will have a charge of -Q and the outer will have a charge of -3Q

Physics news on Phys.org

3R have a charge of -3Q and the 4R a charge of -Q

I think you have reversed 3R and 4R, but otherwise it looks like you have grasped the fundamentals.

Intuitively, we know that the stable electric field inside the conductor must be zero, otherwise the non-zero electric field keep moving charge until the electric field inside is indeed zero.

Since we know that electric field around a charge distribution is proportional to the charge enclosed, and we know that the electric field inside the conductor is zero, we can guess that the net charge enclosed on the inside sums up to zero.

As the charge on the ball is fixed, this means that the charge on the inner surface is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign.

Then by conservation of charge, the charge on the outer surface can be found.

This is essentially a restatement of Gauss' Law, but I think this is how your line of intuitive thought should go.

Related to Charge Distribution Inside a Conductive Shell: Solving the Homework Question

1. What is the definition of a conductor?

A conductor is a material that allows electric current to flow through it easily. This is due to the presence of free electrons in the material.

2. What are some common examples of conductors?

Some common examples of conductors include copper, aluminum, gold, and silver. These materials are often used in electrical wiring and circuitry.

3. How do conductors differ from insulators?

Unlike conductors, insulators do not allow electric current to flow through them easily. This is because they do not have free electrons that can move and carry electric charge.

4. What factors affect the conductivity of a material?

The conductivity of a material can be affected by its temperature, the presence of impurities, and its atomic structure. Generally, materials with more free electrons and fewer obstacles for them to move through will have higher conductivity.

5. Why are conductors important in electrical engineering?

Conductors play a crucial role in electrical engineering as they allow for the efficient transfer of electric current. This is essential in powering electronic devices and creating electrical circuits for various applications.