Charge Distribution in a Parallel Plate Capacitor with Connected Plates

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of charge on four plates in a figure, where each plate has an area of a and a separation of d. The end of the battery has a charge of e, and the goal is to find the charge supplied by the battery. It is determined that each facing plate will have half of the charge supplied by the battery, but there is confusion about how the potential is applied. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the charges and potentials of the plates, and the potential difference across the series connection compared to the emf of the battery. The expert advises to draw a schematic diagram and simplify it to solve the problem. There is also discussion about how charge is distributed on the plates, with the expert
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

Each plate in the figure has area a and separation d , end of battery is e find charge supplied by battery

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

. each facing plate will have half the charge supplied by battery, but I am confused how the potential is applied[/B]

Attachments

• 15116898069671286738196.jpg
    15116898069671286738196.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 450
Physics news on Phys.org
carlyn medona said:
each facing plate
Do you mean the two connected to the battery? If so...
carlyn medona said:
will have half the charge supplied by battery
... but they are connected to opposite poles.

For the two plates not connected to the battery, what is the relationship between their charges, and what is the relationship between their potentials?

I mean magnitude of charge on each facing plate, won't that be q÷2 and, the plates connected together are at same poyential

carlyn medona said:
each facing plate
I still do not know which plates you mean. There are four plates, and they face each other.
carlyn medona said:
won't that be q÷2
Where q is what?
carlyn medona said:
the plates connected together are at same poyential
Yes.

Q is charge supplied by battery

carlyn medona said:
Q is charge supplied by battery
Does the battery gain a net charge?

You have 3 capacitors in series. Draw a schematic diagram, simplify if possible, then solve as a circuit problem.

Is potential difference across the series connection equal to the emf of the battery?

carlyn medona said:
Is potential difference across the series connection equal to the emf of the battery?
No. Did you draw the diagram?

@carlyn medona , you did not answer my question. You say q is "the charge supplied by the battery", which is fine, but seem to think that means it supplies q/2 to a plate on each terminal, which is definitely not fine. That would mean the battery itself acquires a net charge of -q, which is nonsense.
The terminals are oppositely in sign, so what does a battery "supplying a charge of q" mean?

Okay, I thought this is how charge gets distributed, please correct me if I am wrong

Attachments

• 15118889757271606331022.jpg
    15118889757271606331022.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 399
carlyn medona said:
Okay, I thought this is how charge gets distributed, please correct me if I am wrong
Your first tipoff that something is wrong is as follows: put a test charge inside the leftmost plate (4). The E field in that plate (E4) is of course zero. Now look at the contributions to E4 from all 8 sides of charge.
From side 8 (left side of leftmost plate) you get some E field, if non-zero, pointing, say, to the left (- charges on side 8). Now, sides 7 thru 2 cancel out any contribution to E4 since those are pairs of equal and opposite charge. That leaves side 1 to contribute to E4. But surface charge density on side 1 must be equal to that of side 8 in order to get a zero E4 field, yet you have those sides as being of opposite polarity, so something is wrong.

You'll have to show your work for further help. You do have equal and opposite charges on all inside adjoining surfaces, and you have Q2+Q4=0, and Q1+Q2+Q3+Q4=0, so that 's good. But somewhere you made a slipup (assuming I'm right to begin with :biggrin:).

carlyn medona said:
At last I know what you mean by "q/2 to each facing plate". You meant q/2 to each face of one plate (and -q/2 to each face of the other plate). A pity you did not try to explain that before.

I suggest you start by ignoring the other two plates and consider how charge would be distributed across the faces of the two connected to the battery. Would you still put magnitude |q/2| on each face? Then insert the other two plates and consider how charge would rearrange itself on those. Of course, that might lead to rearrangement of charge on the first two, but it should give you a better understanding of how things should look.

I got electric field inside each plate to be zero, but not sure about charge distribution

Attachments

• 15119761755762032291176.jpg
    15119761755762032291176.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 393
carlyn medona said:
I got electric field inside each plate to be zero, but not sure about charge distribution
This is incomplete and hard to read.
Show your work.

BTW if you haven't covered capacitance yet you can derive all 8 charge densities by the two equations in Q1-Q4 I posted in #12, plus σ = D plus V = - d⋅E.

(σ = Q/area, D = εE).

Last edited:
carlyn medona said:
The other thing to check is whether the two plates connected to each other are at the same potential. If so,that must be the solution.

haruspex said:
The other thing to check is whether the two plates connected to each other are at the same potential. If so,that must be the solution.
That's true, but consider: you have 6 unknowns (the 5 non-redundant side charge densities plus the potential of the connected two plates). So you need 6 independent equations to solve for everything. Try to use the hints I gave you last time to come up with these equations.

Related to Charge Distribution in a Parallel Plate Capacitor with Connected Plates

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating opposite charges on two parallel plates, separated by a dielectric material.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two plates, which causes the accumulation of opposite charges on each plate. This creates a potential difference between the plates, which allows the capacitor to store electrical energy.

3. What are the factors that affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. A larger distance between the plates and a larger surface area will result in a higher capacitance, while a higher dielectric constant of the material will also increase the capacitance.

4. How is a parallel plate capacitor different from other types of capacitors?

A parallel plate capacitor differs from other types of capacitors in its design and construction. It consists of two parallel plates, while other capacitors may have different shapes and configurations. Additionally, parallel plate capacitors have a higher capacitance compared to other capacitors of the same size.

5. What are the common applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits for filtering, timing, and energy storage purposes. They are also used in power factor correction, motor start-up circuits, and as sensors in touchscreens. Additionally, parallel plate capacitors are used in high voltage applications such as power transmission lines and particle accelerators.