Charge distribution between two spherical hollow conductors.

In summary, when two spheres are charged to the same amount, the charge is evenly distributed between the spheres.
sankarshana016
Consider two spherical hollow conductors, charged to Q1 and Q2 coulombs respectively. What happens when one is placed within the other, and they are connected by a thin metallic wire?
I do know that if they were placed at a distance from each other, the charge is distributed in the ratio of the ratio of their capacitance. The solution to this problem is that all the charge flows from the inner conductor to the outer one. Why? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Like charges repel.
This is why they end up evenly distributed on the surface of a sphere: that's the farthest they can get from each other.

OK so - imagine that Q1=Q and Q2=0 and Q1 is inside - link the two spheres with a wire and what happens?

Thank You!
I know that charge always lies on the surface of the conductor. If I link the two spheres with a wire, would the charge be evenly distributed between the two spheres (i.e, Q/2 and Q/2), or would all the charge flow to the outer sphere?(i.e, Q1=0 and Q2=Q)

sankarshana016 said:
Thank You!
I know that charge always lies on the surface of the conductor. If I link the two spheres with a wire, would the charge be evenly distributed between the two spheres (i.e, Q/2 and Q/2), or would all the charge flow to the outer sphere?(i.e, Q1=0 and Q2=Q)
That's the question I'm trying to get you to work out the answer to :)

Do you understand why the charge is always on the surface of a conductor?

You have to take account that like charges repel - the charges will try to get as far away from each other as they can.

So what happens when one sphere is inside the other?

You could think of it like this - the two spheres together with the wire joining them comprise a single solid conductor. Where do the charges on a conductor end up?

OH, I got it. Thanks. The charges would flow to the larger sphere. The inner sphere will be left with no charge. Am I right?
Also, What would happen if the two spheres aren't conductors? Would charge be redistributed at all?

That's right - the charges seek to be as far apart as possible - the way to do that is to entirely occupy the outer sphere.

Strictly: charges flow between the spheres until the net unbalanced charge is evenly distributed across the outer surface of the outer sphere.

Insulators, by definition, do not conduct charges.
Therefore the charges don't move - they want to, but the material of the insulator won't let them.

In practice the situation is messier but you'll learn more about that later in your course.

Related to Charge distribution between two spherical hollow conductors.

1. How is charge distributed between two spherical hollow conductors?

The charge on each spherical hollow conductor is distributed evenly on the surface, with no charge inside the hollow space. This is because charges on conductors always repel each other and move to the surface to minimize the electric potential energy.

2. What factors affect the charge distribution between two spherical hollow conductors?

The distance between the two conductors, the amount of charge on each conductor, and the dielectric constant of the material between the conductors all affect the charge distribution. The type of material used for the conductors and the shape of the conductors can also play a role.

3. How does the presence of a dielectric material between the conductors affect the charge distribution?

If a dielectric material is placed between the conductors, the charge distribution will be affected because the dielectric material can change the electric field between the conductors. This can cause the charges to redistribute themselves to create a more stable electric field.

4. Is the charge distribution between two spherical hollow conductors affected by the size of the conductors?

Yes, the size of the conductors can affect the charge distribution. Smaller conductors will have a higher surface charge density compared to larger conductors, which means the charges will be more concentrated on the surface. This can also affect the electric field between the conductors.

5. Can the charge distribution between two spherical hollow conductors be calculated?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the charge distribution between two spherical hollow conductors using the equations for electric potential and electric field. However, the calculations can become quite complex depending on the specific circumstances and assumptions made about the conductors and the material between them.