Charge density of an infinite 1D system

In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite 1D system with electron plane waves and a potential step introduced at time t=0. The electron density when the system reaches equilibrium again is determined by the initial (unperturbed) electron density and the energy difference of the system. The correct equation for the ground state is needed to solve this problem.
El Hombre Invisible
Hi there. Long time no see. I hope you're all well.

Homework Statement

An infinite 1D system has electron plane waves occupying states 0 <= E <= E_F. At time t=0, a potential step is introduced such that V=0 for x<0 and V=V' for x>0. What is the electron density when the system reaches equilibrium again?

Homework Equations

The initial (unperturbed) electron density, in atomic units, is [tex]n(x) = \int_{0}^{k_{F}} \frac{dk}{\pi}[/tex] where [tex]k_{F} = \sqrt{2E_{F}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, when the pertubation is switched on the wavenumbers for x<0 are unchanged while those for x>0 are given by [tex]k = \sqrt{2(E - V'}[/tex]. The initial occupancy for x>0 is [tex]V' < E < E_{F}+V'[/tex]. When in equilibrium, the left and right sides must be energetically equal. Since the initial energy difference is V', and the system is symmetric about x=0, I'm figuring that the final occupancies will be:

[tex]0 < E < E_{F} + \frac{V'}{2}[/tex] for x < 0
[tex]V' < E < E_{F} + \frac{V'}{2}[/tex] for x > 0

in atomic units. The equation for the ground state depends on [tex]\sqrt{V'}[/tex], but looking at a graph the difference between n(x) on the left and right sides is just V'. So clearly I'm using the wrong equation. Anyone know the right one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there something wrong with my wording here? Please tell me if there is and I will amend the question. I could do with sussing this in the next week. Cheers... EHI

Related to Charge density of an infinite 1D system

1. What is charge density of an infinite 1D system?

The charge density of an infinite 1D system refers to the amount of electric charge per unit length in a one-dimensional system that extends infinitely in one direction. It is often denoted by the symbol λ.

2. How is charge density calculated?

Charge density is calculated by dividing the total charge of a system by its length. For an infinite 1D system, the charge density can be calculated by taking the limit as the length approaches infinity.

3. What factors affect the charge density of an infinite 1D system?

The charge density of an infinite 1D system is affected by the total amount of charge in the system and the length of the system. It can also be affected by the presence of other charges or external electric fields.

4. What is the unit of charge density in an infinite 1D system?

The unit of charge density in an infinite 1D system is typically coulombs per meter (C/m), as it represents the amount of charge per unit length.

5. How does the charge density of an infinite 1D system relate to the electric field?

The charge density of an infinite 1D system is directly related to the electric field, as it is a measure of the amount of charge that is present in a given length. The electric field is stronger in regions with higher charge density and weaker in regions with lower charge density.