Charge conjugation matrix and Dirac equation's solutions

In summary: The imaginary number in the Dirac equation allows for the existence of antiparticles, where particles and antiparticles have opposite signs of energy and charge. The C matrix is a mathematical tool used to transform a particle state into an antiparticle state. The Fourier transform is also used in this process. Overall, the Dirac equation and its solutions provide a framework for understanding the behavior of fermions and their interactions.
StephvsEinst
I saw this somewhere but I think it is wrong...

Free fermions are solutions of Dirac's equation:
$$ ( i \hbar \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - m ) \psi = 0, $$

where $$ \psi $$ is a four vector. Working the equation in terms of $$p_ \mu : $$

$$ ( i \gamma \cdot \mathbf{p} + m ) \psi ( \mathbf{p} ) = 0, $$

because $$p_\mu \rightarrow i \hbar \partial_\mu $$.

There is a C matrix that when applied to a state $$ \psi (\mathbf{p} ), $$ we have:

$$C \langle \psi ( \mathbf{p} ) \mid = \mid \psi ( \bar{ \mathbf{p} } ) \rangle ,$$

i.e., the particle turns into the antiparticle.

If we apply C matrix to the field we obtain:

$$ C ( i \gamma \cdot \mathbf{p} + m )^{T} \psi^{T} ( \mathbf{p} ) = ( -i \gamma \cdot \mathbf{p} + m )C \psi^{T} ( \mathbf{p} ) . $$

Introducing a field $$ \psi^c ( \mathbf{p} )$$, and applying it in Dirac's equation we have:

$$ ( i \gamma \cdot \mathbf{p} + m ) \psi^c ( \mathbf{p} ) = 0. $$

I already read Griffiths' "Introduction to Particle Physics" (the 1st edition) from the page 216 to the page 222 (chapter of Quantum Electrodynamics - section "Solution to the Dirac Equation") and I didn't understood why was there the imaginary number in the equation:

$$ ( i \gamma \cdot \mathbf{p} + m ) \psi ( \mathbf{p} ) = 0. $$

And what is the C matrix?

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: In the quote I meant:

$$ C \mid \psi \left( \mathbf{p} \right) \rangle = \mid \psi \left( \bar{ \mathbf{p} } \right) \rangle . $$

He basically just Fourier transformed the dirac equation, try it yourself and see what you get.

Likes StephvsEinst
In the Dirac equation, psi is not a four-vector. It is a spinor, and they are very different physical objects.

Likes StephvsEinst
phyzguy said:
In the Dirac equation, psi is not a four-vector. It is a spinor, and they are very different physical objects.

I was thinking that psi could be described by two different relativistic fields, with each one having a (1 0) or (0 1) (those two states must be read in a COLUMN vector). Wouldn't this give us the four states: 2 different states of spin (up and down) of the particle and 2 different states of spin of the ANTIparticle?

HomogenousCow said:
He basically just Fourier transformed the dirac equation, try it yourself and see what you get.

How the hell did I not think for once of doing the Fourier transform...
Thank you, I will work on that!

StephvsEinst said:
I was thinking that psi could be described by two different relativistic fields, with each one having a (1 0) or (0 1) (those two states must be read in a COLUMN vector). Wouldn't this give us the four states: 2 different states of spin (up and down) of the particle and 2 different states of spin of the ANTIparticle?

The Dirac spin ψ does in fact have four components, but that does not make it a four-vector. A four-vector and a Dirac spinor transform very differently under coordinate transformations.

Likes StephvsEinst

Related to Charge conjugation matrix and Dirac equation's solutions

1. What is a charge conjugation matrix?

A charge conjugation matrix is a mathematical matrix that describes how the properties of a particle change when it undergoes a charge conjugation transformation. This transformation swaps all particles with their corresponding antiparticles.

2. How is the charge conjugation matrix related to the Dirac equation?

The charge conjugation matrix is an essential component of the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions (particles with half-integer spin). The matrix appears in the equation as a factor that relates the particle's wavefunction to its antiparticle's wavefunction.

3. What are the solutions of the Dirac equation?

The solutions of the Dirac equation are wavefunctions that describe the behavior of fermions in relativistic systems. These solutions have four components, corresponding to the four spin states of the particle, and they are represented by four-component spinors.

4. How do the solutions of the Dirac equation change under a charge conjugation transformation?

Under a charge conjugation transformation, the solutions of the Dirac equation change by swapping the particle's wavefunction with its antiparticle's wavefunction. This is reflected in the charge conjugation matrix, which appears as a factor in the equation.

5. What is the significance of the charge conjugation matrix and the solutions of the Dirac equation?

The charge conjugation matrix and the solutions of the Dirac equation are essential in understanding the behavior of fermions in relativistic systems. They provide a framework for describing how particles and antiparticles interact and how their properties change under various transformations. These concepts are crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology.