Charge between two metal plates

In summary, given two large metal plates with an area of 1.1 m^2 and a distance of 6.2 cm between them, with equal but opposite charges and a field magnitude of 50 N/C, the magnitude of the charge is 9.889E-7 C.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

Two large metal plates of area 1.1 m^2 face each other, 6.2 cm apart, with equal charge magnitudes but opposite signs. The field magnitude E between them (neglect fringing) is 50 N/C. Find |q|.

Homework Equations

|q|=σA
E=σ/(2Eo)⇒σ=2EoE
|q|=2EoEA

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that after I did the rearranging of formulas above that this would be a pretty simple problem
|q|=2EoEA
|q|=2(8.99E-9C)(50N/C)(1.1m^2)
|q|=9.889E-7C

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:

Homework Statement

Two large metal plates of area 1.1 m^2 face each other, 6.2 cm apart, with equal charge magnitudes but opposite signs. The field magnitude E between them (neglect fringing) is 50 N/C. Find |q|.

Homework Equations

|q|=σA
E=σ/(2Eo)⇒σ=2EoE
|q|=2EoEA

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that after I did the rearranging of formulas above that this would be a pretty simple problem
|q|=2EoEA
|q|=2(8.99E-9C)(50N/C)(1.1m^2)
|q|=9.889E-7C
There are two plates.

It seems that I used coulombs constant instead of the permittivity of free space

Related to Charge between two metal plates

1. What is the relationship between charge and electric field between two metal plates?

The electric field between two metal plates is directly proportional to the charge on the plates. This means that as the charge on the plates increases, the electric field between them also increases.

2. How does the distance between two metal plates affect the charge?

The distance between two metal plates does not directly affect the charge on the plates. However, it does affect the electric field between the plates, which in turn affects the force experienced by the charges on the plates.

3. How does the material of the plates affect the charge between them?

The material of the plates does not have a significant impact on the charge between them. However, different materials may have different conductivity, which can affect how easily charges can move between the plates.

4. What is the role of dielectric material in the charge between two metal plates?

Dielectric material, such as air or plastic, can affect the charge between two metal plates. When a dielectric material is placed between the plates, it can decrease the electric field and increase the capacitance of the system.

5. How does the voltage difference between two metal plates affect the charge?

The voltage difference between two metal plates is directly proportional to the charge on the plates. This means that as the voltage difference increases, the charge on the plates also increases. This relationship is known as capacitance and is described by the equation Q = CV, where Q is charge, C is capacitance, and V is voltage.