Charge an emergency fan on AC or DC setting?

In summary: Thanks for the advice.In summary, the fan can be charged on either AC or DC power, but it is best to charge it on AC power.
t3rom
I've an emergency fan with an AC/DC button on it, but its manual doesn't say on which setting it should be charged. I've tried charging on both settings, and it can be charged either way.

On the back of the fan it reads:

"AC 220/240
50/60Hz
19w"

The fan's box only says:

"DC: Operate when power failure.
AC: Operate by AC power directly"

My question is on which setting (AC/DC) I should charge it for future use when there's a power failure? Thanks in advance!

This is not a homework question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The AC / DC switch probably selects the source of power for the fan motor.
So it does not matter which is selected during charging of the internal battery.

Likes 1 person
I see. Thanks for the reply!

Also -the switch is most likely "after" the battery, so it has no effect on the charging circuit.

Likes 1 person
I agree With Mr. Baluncore. The Switch itself selects the Power source(whether AC/DC). No matter on Battery charging.

Likes 1 person
That's assuming the charger's current capacity is more than the fan draws.
It could be a trickle charger.

Knowing no more than has been posted, I'd charge it on AC setting.

But one experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions...
Try it overnight - run battery down and then see whether it'll charge back up with fan running in DC position ??

Likes 1 person
I would just take it apart and have a look. The wiring should be straight forward.

Likes 1 person
jim hardy said:
But one experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions...
Try it overnight - run battery down and then see whether it'll charge back up with fan running in DC position ??

Well, I did that and it does charge fully on DC position. I'm also drawing this conclusion that the AC/DC button has nothing to do with the battery.

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
I would just take it apart and have a look. The wiring should be straight forward.

That's actually not a bad idea. I'll do that even though I understand the AC/DC option has no effect on the battery.

Related to Charge an emergency fan on AC or DC setting?

1. How do I charge an emergency fan on AC or DC setting?

To charge an emergency fan on AC setting, simply plug the fan into a wall outlet using the included AC adapter. To charge on DC setting, use a 12V DC adapter or connect the fan to a 12V battery.

2. Can I charge the emergency fan while it is in use?

No, it is not recommended to charge the emergency fan while it is in use. This can cause damage to the fan and may pose a safety hazard.

3. How long does it take to fully charge the emergency fan?

The charging time will vary depending on the specific model and the power source used. On average, it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours to fully charge an emergency fan.

4. Is it safe to charge the emergency fan on either AC or DC setting?

Yes, it is safe to charge the emergency fan on either setting as long as you are using the appropriate adapter and following the manufacturer's instructions.

5. Can I use a universal adapter to charge the emergency fan?

It is not recommended to use a universal adapter to charge the emergency fan as it may not provide the correct voltage or amperage needed and could potentially damage the fan.