Characteristic polynomial has degree n and leading coefficent (-1)^n

In summary, someone has been looking for a proof of the fact that the characteristic polynomial of an n by n matrix has degree n with leading coefficient ## (-1)^{n} ##. They found a solution using the cofactor expansion of the determinant.
Bipolarity
I've been looking for proof of the fact that the characteristic polynomial of an n by n matrix has degree n with leading coefficient ## (-1)^{n} ##.

I first tried proving it myself but my method is a bit strange (it does use induction though) and I am doubting the rigor, so could perhaps someone please post a link to the proof? I've been looking around without much success. Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to do this by induction, then my suggestion would be to use the cofactor expansion of the determinant. There are other ways of doing this though that avoid induction.

Bipolarity said:
could perhaps someone please post a link to the proof? I've been looking around without much success. Thanks!

http://www.math.uri.edu/~eaton/NotesCh5.pdf , see Theorem 5.3.

Bipolarity said:
I've been looking for proof of the fact that the characteristic polynomial of an n by n matrix has degree n with leading coefficient ## (-1)^{n} ##.

I first tried proving it myself but my method is a bit strange (it does use induction though) and I am doubting the rigor, so could perhaps someone please post a link to the proof? I've been looking around without much success. Thanks!

BiP
Well, it seems fairly straightforward. You have a matrix ##\mathbf{A}=\begin{bmatrix} a_{1,1} & a_{1,2} & \cdots & a_{1,n} \\ a_{2,1} & a_{2,2} & \cdots & a_{2,n} \\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\ a_{n,1} & a_{n,2} & \cdots & a_{n,n}\end{bmatrix}##.

To find the characteristic polynomial, we consider ##\det(\mathbf{A}-\lambda\mathbf{I})=\det\begin{bmatrix} a_{1,1}-\lambda & a_{1,2} & \cdots & a_{1,n} \\ a_{2,1} & a_{2,2}-\lambda & \cdots & a_{2,n} \\ \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\ a_{n,1} & a_{n,2} & \cdots & a_{n,n}-\lambda\end{bmatrix}=0##. The proof should then become fairly evident when considering the definition of the determinant. I'm tired and lazy right now, though, so I'm going to leave it at that.

As an aside, some authors choose to define the characteristic polynomial as ##\det(\lambda\mathbf{I}-\mathbf{A})=0##, in which case the factor of ##(-1)^n## is unnecessary.

I'd like to see your proof by induction, though. That might be a fun read. :wink:

olarBear

The characteristic polynomial of an n by n matrix is defined as the polynomial with eigenvalues of the matrix as its roots. This polynomial has degree n because an n by n matrix has n eigenvalues. This can be seen by considering the fact that the characteristic polynomial is a polynomial of degree n and the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots. Since eigenvalues can be complex numbers, this means that an n by n matrix has n eigenvalues and therefore the characteristic polynomial has degree n.

The leading coefficient of the characteristic polynomial is determined by the determinant of the matrix. The determinant of an n by n matrix is defined as the sum of products of n elements of the matrix, where each product contains one element from each row and one element from each column. The sign of this sum is determined by the number of permutations of the elements, with a negative sign for an odd number of permutations. Since the leading term of the characteristic polynomial is the product of the eigenvalues, and the number of permutations is equal to the number of eigenvalues, the sign of the leading coefficient will be (-1)^n.

To prove this rigorously, one can use the definition of determinant and the properties of determinants to show that the sign of the leading coefficient is determined by the number of eigenvalues. This can be done through induction, as you have mentioned, or by using other methods such as the Leibniz formula for determinants.

In summary, the degree of the characteristic polynomial of an n by n matrix is n, and the leading coefficient is (-1)^n. This can be proven rigorously using the properties of determinants and the definition of eigenvalues. I hope this helps and feel free to ask for more clarification if needed.

Related to Characteristic polynomial has degree n and leading coefficent (-1)^n

1. What is a characteristic polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial equation whose roots represent the eigenvalues of a given square matrix. It is used in linear algebra to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix.

2. What does the degree of the characteristic polynomial represent?

The degree of the characteristic polynomial represents the dimension of the matrix. For a square matrix of size n, the degree of the characteristic polynomial will be n.

3. Why is the leading coefficient of the characteristic polynomial (-1)^n?

The leading coefficient of the characteristic polynomial is (-1)^n because it is a convention in linear algebra to use the negative of the identity matrix when finding characteristic polynomials. This results in a leading coefficient of (-1)^n for the polynomial.

4. How is the characteristic polynomial used to find eigenvalues?

The characteristic polynomial is used to find eigenvalues by setting it equal to zero and solving for the roots. The roots of the polynomial will be the eigenvalues of the matrix.

5. Can the characteristic polynomial have a degree other than n?

Yes, the characteristic polynomial can have a degree other than n. However, it will only represent the eigenvalues of a square matrix if it has a degree of n. For non-square matrices, the characteristic polynomial may have a different degree depending on the size of the matrix.