Changing the order of different kinds of sums

• Thread starter Mandelbroth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which a sum and integral can be switched, specifically when the upper limit of the sum is finite versus infinite. The concept of Fubini's theorem and other theorems in measure theory are mentioned as potential justifications for switching the order.
Mandelbroth
I'm having trouble understanding this.

Suppose I have a sum ##\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n}\left[\int_{a}^{b} f(t) dt\right]##, where f(t) depends on both n and i. Under what conditions could this expression be equal to the same expression with the integral and the summation in reversed order? That is, I want to know when I can say that $$\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left[\int_{a}^{b} f(t) dt\right] = \int_{a}^{b}\sum_{i=1}^{n}\left[f(t)\right]dt$$

A math friend of mine mentioned something about Fubini's theorem, but I can't see how it applies...

All help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a given finite n, the sum and integral can be switched. Fubini's theorem has to do with double integrals.

In case the upper limit of the sum is infinite you do need some justification to switch.

You have no problem here because your sum is finite. If your sum is infinite (thus if it is a series), then you need justification. Fubini's theorem is one such theorem which says when you can switch sum and integral. Questions like these are answered in measure theory.

Other useful theorems are the monotone and dominated convergence theorems.

Related to Changing the order of different kinds of sums

1. How can I change the order of different kinds of sums?

To change the order of different kinds of sums, you can use the commutative and associative properties of addition. The commutative property states that the order of numbers in addition can be changed without affecting the result. The associative property states that the grouping of numbers in addition can also be changed without affecting the result.

2. Can I change the order of different kinds of sums with multiplication?

Yes, the commutative and associative properties also apply to multiplication. This means that the order and grouping of numbers in multiplication can be changed without affecting the result. However, keep in mind that these properties do not apply to subtraction and division.

3. Are there any limitations to changing the order of sums?

Yes, there are limitations to changing the order of sums. As mentioned before, the commutative and associative properties only apply to addition and multiplication. Additionally, changing the order of terms in a sum can only be done if the terms are all the same type. For example, you cannot change the order of an addition and a multiplication within the same sum.

4. Why would I need to change the order of different kinds of sums?

Changing the order of different kinds of sums can be useful in simplifying calculations and finding patterns. It can also help in solving more complex equations and problems. Additionally, it can make it easier to understand and manipulate mathematical expressions.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should change the order of different kinds of sums?

There is no specific order in which you should change the order of different kinds of sums. However, it is important to follow the correct order of operations (PEMDAS) when dealing with multiple operations within a sum. This means performing operations within parentheses first, followed by exponents, then multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).