Changing Oxygen Atoms: Is It Possible to Alter Element Composition?

In summary: However, it is possible to change oxygen into another element through nuclear transmutation, but it would require a high amount of energy and is not practical for individual use. In summary, changing oxygen into another element through nuclear transmutation is possible, but not practical for individual use due to the high amount of energy required.
Leronira
As stated in the title. Is it possible?
Say for example, if I have an Oxygen Atom.
Is there anyway I can add in another proton to this Oxygen atom such that i can change it to some other element?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

What you are describing is nuclear fusion and yes it is possible...just not for an individual. I'm not sure if it has been tried by scientists with oxygen, but it happens in stars (that's where large atoms come from).

hmm...Thanks...
Ill go do more study on nuclear fussion then..=D

Leronira said:
As stated in the title. Is it possible?
What you are looking for is called nuclear transmutation.

Say for example, if I have an Oxygen Atom.
Is there anyway I can add in another proton to this Oxygen atom such that i can change it to some other element?
Not for oxygen, since there is no stable isotope of F with 8 neutrons.

Gokul43201 said:
Not for oxygen, since there is no stable isotope of F with 8 neutrons.

Why should that be a problem - there is more than one isotope of oxygen too.

sjb-2812 said:
Why should that be a problem - there is more than one isotope of oxygen too.
True. I assumed the OP was referring to the most abundant one.

Related to Changing Oxygen Atoms: Is It Possible to Alter Element Composition?

1. Can I change the number of protons in an oxygen atom?

No, the number of protons in an atom is determined by its atomic number and cannot be changed. Oxygen has an atomic number of 8, meaning it always has 8 protons.

2. Can I change the number of electrons in an oxygen atom?

Yes, the number of electrons in an atom can change through the process of ionization. This can occur naturally through interactions with other atoms or through artificial means such as exposure to radiation.

3. Can I change the number of neutrons in an oxygen atom?

Yes, the number of neutrons in an atom can vary through the process of nuclear reactions. For example, oxygen-17 and oxygen-18 are isotopes of oxygen that have different numbers of neutrons.

4. Can I change the size of an oxygen atom?

No, the size of an atom is determined by the distance between its nucleus and its outermost electron shell, which is a fixed value for each element. However, the size of an atom's electron cloud can change depending on its energy state.

5. Can I change the properties of an oxygen atom?

Yes, the properties of an atom can be altered through chemical reactions or by changing its isotopes. For example, the properties of oxygen-17 and oxygen-18 may differ from those of the more common oxygen-16 isotope.