Changing bases (with bra-ket notation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing vectors in terms of old and new bases. It is easier to write a vector in terms of the new basis when the old basis vectors are known in the new basis. This is because knowing how to express the old basis vectors in terms of the new basis vectors allows for the expression of any vector in the new basis.
iScience
http://i.imgur.com/ORtBJdT.jpg

i don't understand why the old base is written in terms/as a linear combination of the new bases. wouldn't i want to map my coordinates from old to new not new to old?..

here's what my textbook says about it, can you guys interpret this for me, i still don't get it..

(it's the stuff of the red outline)

http://i.imgur.com/n5HJ7F2.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's say you have an arbitrary vector written in terms of the old basis. Is it easier to write it in terms of the new basis knowing what each of old basis vectors are in the new basis, or is it easier to start by knowing what the new basis vectors are in the old basis?

i don't follow; how are the two any different?

in both cases it sounds like I'm writing the new basis in terms of the old. can you elaborate on what you mean?

Given a vector:

[tex]|v\rangle = \sum^n_{j=1} x_j|e_j\rangle[/tex]

and that

[tex]|e_j\rangle = \sum^n_{i=1} S_{ij}|f_i\rangle[/tex]

then

[tex]|v\rangle = \sum^n_{j=1}\sum^n_{i=1}x_j S_{ij}|f_i\rangle[/tex]

Or in other words knowing how to express the old basis vectors in terms of the new basis vectors tells you how to express a vector in the new basis given it's expression in the old basis.

Likes 1 person

I can understand that this concept may seem confusing at first. Let me try to provide a clearer explanation.

In quantum mechanics, bases are used to represent the state of a system. These bases can be chosen arbitrarily, but some bases may be more convenient to use than others. When we change bases, we are essentially changing the way we represent the state of the system. This can be useful in solving certain problems or making calculations easier.

In the image provided, the old bases are written in terms of the new bases because this allows us to map the coordinates from the old bases to the new bases. Think of it as a transformation, similar to converting from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. We are not mapping from new to old, but rather from old to new.

The red outline in the textbook image is simply showing the relationship between the old and new bases. The new bases are expressed as a linear combination of the old bases, which means that the new bases can be written as a combination of the old bases. This is important because it allows us to map the coordinates from the old bases to the new bases.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of changing bases in quantum mechanics. It may take some time to fully understand, but with practice and further study, it will become clearer.

Related to Changing bases (with bra-ket notation)

1. What is changing bases in bra-ket notation?

Changing bases in bra-ket notation refers to the process of converting a vector or state expressed in one basis to another basis. In quantum mechanics, this is often done using the bra-ket notation, where the vector is represented as a ket and the basis vectors are represented as bras.

2. Why is changing bases important in quantum mechanics?

Changing bases is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to express vectors and states in different bases, which can provide insights into the system being studied. It also allows us to perform calculations and make predictions in different bases, which can be useful in certain scenarios.

3. What is the process for changing bases with bra-ket notation?

The process for changing bases with bra-ket notation involves using the inner product between the vector or state and the basis vectors. This can be done by taking the inner product with each basis vector and then multiplying the resulting coefficients by the respective basis vector in the new basis. The sum of these products will give the vector or state expressed in the new basis.

4. Can changing bases affect the outcome of a quantum measurement?

Yes, changing bases can affect the outcome of a quantum measurement. This is because the outcome of a measurement depends on the basis in which the measurement is performed. Changing the basis can change the probability of obtaining a particular measurement outcome.

5. What are some applications of changing bases in quantum mechanics?

Some applications of changing bases in quantum mechanics include representing quantum states in different bases, performing calculations and making predictions in different bases, and studying the properties of quantum systems from different perspectives. It is also an important tool in quantum information processing and quantum computing.