Is Intellectual Evolution the Future of Human Evolution?

• Thread starter Deeviant
  • Start date
In summary, the primary force behind evolution is natural selection. However, in a novel environment, evolution can be more predominant. Most mutations that occur today are harmful. Humans in modern countries have not eliminated natural selection, but have slowed its pace with technology. There is also the factor of sexual selection, recombination, and gene flow in evolution. Humans are still evolving as they continue to face challenges such as hunger, natural disasters, and disease. However, with the potential for genetic engineering, a new mechanism of evolution could arise. Evolution does not only involve changes in the gene pool, but also the development of beneficial survival traits.
Deeviant
The primary force behind evolution is natural selection yes? What happens when you take away natural selection as we have?

Biology news on Phys.org
Evolution is more predominant in a novel environment. Most mutations which happen today will be deletirous.

Nautica

If we eventually gain a mastery over genetics, wouldn't we be able control of our own evolution?

Hmm Deeviant, do you really believe 100% that humans have taken away away "natural selection" or is it that our natural selection has just morphed into something unseen by the animal kingdom before this.

Instead of "survival of the fittest" we now kinda work on "survival of the weakest." Doesn't this simply mean a new turmn to evolution??

We have to ask "is variation still happening?" Yes it is. point mutations of single nucliedes are going on all the time.

Then we should ask, "Is selection still happening?" That is happening too. Not everyone leaves offspring.

Evolution doesn't care about what we want to become, it doesn't care about anything, it's just a natural process. What will be will be.

I really do think humans in the modern countries(non-3rd world) have mostly eliminated natural selection. The only other evolutionary force I can think of is the development of our knowledge base, a sort of intellectual evolution.

Originally posted by Deeviant
I really do think humans in the modern countries(non-3rd world) have mostly eliminated natural selection. The only other evolutionary force I can think of is the development of our knowledge base, a sort of intellectual evolution.

Although I agree that our technology/etc. can slow the pace of natural selection, I think we're far from being free of natural selection. Consider hunger, natural disasters, & disease in the U.S. alone. Also consider that a huge fraction of the world population is not in "1st world" countries. Even without natural selection, there's still sexual selection, recombination, gene flow...

Also check out this PhysicsPost article on the subject by a fellow PF mentor...
http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=172

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks phobos, great info :smile:

I doubt very much natural selection has been mostly eliminated.

Most pregnancies after all abort at a very early stage. So early that it is often goes unnoticed.

That is just one example of selection.

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
Most pregnancies after all abort at a very early stage. So early that it is often goes unnoticed.

Really? Link/reference?

Ah, links make things true.

are humans still evolving:

http://www.spuriousmonkey.com/lectures/archive/lectures/025.html

http://www.spuriousmonkey.com/lectures/archive/lectures/026.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Phobos
Really? Link/reference?

Maybe, he should have used the word "many" instead of "most"

Nautica

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
Ah, links make things true.

No, of course not. But I had not heard that statement before and I find it quite extraordinary, so I was curious to see some info about it. Those links did not seem to do it.

I have seen statements over the years that from a fifth to a quarter of all human zygotes are KNOWN to spontaineously abort, and that an unknown fraction will fail to attach to the womb and be ejected without any symptoms. Sorry, no links, but it certainly should be easy to verify, since (so I have heard) it's "common wisdom" in the reproductive medicine community.

Like I stated earlier: "many" not "most"

Nautica

I'm pretty sure that half of all pregnancies that manage to implant in the uterine wall also end in miscarriage.

In any event, we have not eliminated natural selection -- only changed which factors are involved in the selection.

- Warren

Amazing. Between that and the difficulties in growing up & finding a mate...it's amazing that we haven't gone extinct yet. Any idea if this is typical for other mammalian species?

I'll have to spend some time with Google.

If we eventually gain a mastery over genetics, wouldn't we be able control of our own evolution?

Evolution would be gone if that happened. Genetic engineering isn't evolution to me.

As for another comment about only deleterious evolution. Look no further than weight problems and eye sight. Both continue to get worse, and while this isn't an "evolved" trait, it certainly has a similar factor.

Originally posted by London Kngiths
Evolution would be gone if that happened. Genetic engineering isn't evolution to me.

I think it would be a new mechanism of evolution that would operate in addition to the existing mechanisms (unless we did 100% control of gene reproduction on every individual).

As for another comment about only deleterious evolution. Look no further than weight problems and eye sight. Both continue to get worse, and while this isn't an "evolved" trait, it certainly has a similar factor.

A genetic predisposition for poor eyesight or obeisity can be an inherited trait. But you're right that damage/lack of care to the body during people's lifetimes is not an evolved trait.

So long as people still want to breed with better looking people, people who are smarter or have better personalities and people with more money, we're still be evolving toward whatever traits people find attractive in a mate.

Originally posted by wasteofo2
So long as people still want to breed with better looking people, people who are smarter or have better personalities and people with more money, we're still be evolving toward whatever traits people find attractive in a mate.

Not really, since their are plenty of ugly people in the world(far more then truly beautiful ones. So A, there doesn't seem to be a strong evolutionary push toward beauty or intelligence.

To me, evolution means more than the changing of the gene pool. To me it means the changing of the gene pool toward a better model so to speak. A change of direction that pushes a species genes toward benefical survival traits.

When the one's genetic traits don't particulary matter in your survival then evolution would just be spinning it's wheels. I feel within the next couple hundred years humans will completely break out of the cycle of the evolution that has served life so well to taking our evolution into our own hands, through another and much more potent evolution: Intellectual evolution.

1. How do we know that humans are still evolving?

The evidence for human evolution is found in the fossil record, which shows a gradual change in physical characteristics over time. Additionally, genetic studies have shown that humans are still undergoing changes in their DNA, which is a key component of evolution.

2. What are some examples of recent human evolution?

One example of recent human evolution is lactose tolerance, which has evolved in some populations due to the domestication of animals for dairy farming. Another example is the development of resistance to certain diseases, such as sickle cell anemia in parts of Africa where malaria is prevalent.

3. Are humans still evolving at the same rate as in the past?

It is difficult to determine the exact rate of human evolution, as it can vary depending on different factors such as population size and environmental pressures. However, some studies suggest that humans are evolving at a slower rate compared to other species, possibly due to advancements in technology and medicine.

4. Will humans continue to evolve in the future?

It is likely that humans will continue to evolve in the future, as evolution is an ongoing process driven by natural selection and environmental factors. However, the specific changes and adaptations that may occur are uncertain.

5. How does human evolution impact our society today?

Human evolution has had a significant impact on our society, from shaping our physical characteristics to influencing cultural and social behaviors. For example, the development of larger brains and the ability to walk upright have allowed humans to create and use tools, leading to technological advancements. Additionally, genetic variations and adaptations have influenced the diversity and distribution of human populations around the world.