Changes in magnetic fields and causality

In summary, the mechanics of cause and effect in this situation involve the propagation of a changing magnetic field at the speed of light, inducing a current in the secondary coil, which then causes resistance in the primary coil.
Morganb
I was thinking about rapid changes in magnetic fields and the mechanics of cause and effect:

Suppose you have a:
Primary coil with switch and a battery
and a separate Secondary coil perhaps hooked up to a oscilloscope.

In the first femtosecond in which you flick the switch and dc current from battery runs through the primary coil a magnetic field must propagate out from the wires to fill space at the speed of light. A very short time later the expanding field must reach the secondary coil and induce current.

Now in the second femtosecond after flicking a switch, once the expanding magnetic field from the primary has arrived at the secondary coil, surely the secondary coil begins to act like a resistor, now reducing the number of electrons moving in the primary coil. The battery is now doing some work inducing current in the second coil.

Questions:
1. If I shut off the battery at Femtosecond 2, before the propagating magnetic field reached the secondary coil what happens? I think in the first femtosecond I made the magnetic field with zero energy cost - because the field hadn't yet done any work no energy was spent? Does it still do work on the secondary coil when it finally arrives?

2.How does cause and effect work here? I can explain my problem with this series of events: Electrons move in primary coil first, they cause a changing mag field, which expands ( at speed of light?), which then hits secondary coil, which then induces electrons to move in the secondary coil, which then causes resistance in the primary coil.

So how fast does the "resistance information" from the secondary coil flow back to the primary... is there some back flow of information perhaps at the speed of light? Was this sort of experiment ever proposed perhaps on a larger scale?

Please help.
Puzzled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: 1. If you shut off the battery at Femtosecond 2, before the propagating magnetic field reached the secondary coil, then no work would be done on the secondary coil. This is because the magnetic field has not yet had an opportunity to do any work on the secondary coil.2. The cause and effect in this situation works as follows. Electrons move in the primary coil, creating a changing magnetic field which propagates outward at the speed of light. This magnetic field then interacts with the secondary coil, inducing a current in it. The result of this current is a resistance in the primary coil. This back-flow of information travels at the same speed of light as the expanding magnetic field. Such experiments have been proposed on a large scale, and are used to study the behavior of rapidly changing magnetic fields.

Related to Changes in magnetic fields and causality

1. What causes changes in magnetic fields?

Changes in magnetic fields can be caused by a variety of factors, including the movement of electric charges, the rotation of the Earth, and the presence of other magnetic fields.

2. How do changes in magnetic fields affect causality?

Changes in magnetic fields can impact causality by altering the behavior of charged particles and electromagnetic waves, which can in turn affect the flow of energy and information within a system.

3. Can changes in magnetic fields be predicted?

While changes in magnetic fields can be monitored and measured, they are often difficult to predict due to the complex and unpredictable nature of the factors that contribute to them.

4. What are the potential consequences of changes in magnetic fields?

Changes in magnetic fields can have a range of consequences, including disruptions to communication and navigation systems, changes in animal behavior, and potential health risks to humans.

5. How do scientists study changes in magnetic fields?

Scientists study changes in magnetic fields using a variety of tools and techniques, such as magnetometers, satellites, and computer models. They also conduct experiments and observations in various environments to better understand the causes and effects of these changes.