How can I find the initial speed using SUVAT equations?

• Thread starter Simon143
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suvat
In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving an object sliding down a slope and falling freely for a given height afterwards. The equation for determining u (initial speed) is given, but the individual is having trouble rearranging it to easily solve for u. They are seeking help and someone suggests a potential solution involving SUVAT, which is an acronym for the equations of motion. The final equation for u is (u^2) = (4.9x^2)(1+tan^2[theta]) / (x(tan[theta]) - y).
Simon143
I am currently doing a project involving an object sliding down a slope and falling freely for a given height afterwards. The horizontal distance is recorded, as is the angle of the slope. I have been trying to create an equation for u (the initial speed) from this data, but I haven't been able to. We are given that:

y = x(tan[theta]) - ((4.9x^2)/(u^2))(1+tan^2[theta])

y = vertical displacement (known)
x = horizontal displacement (recorded)
[theta] = slope angle (recorded)
u = initial speed (required)

This seems to be a slight variation on a few other problems I've seen on this forum, and try as I have, I haven't been able to relate that help to my situation - mainly because I have to use SUVAT.

I can't seem to arrange the equation in a suitable form to easily give 'u'. I'd be really grateful for any help you could give me.

Thanks

Simon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Can't you write:

u^(2)=(4.9x^2)*(1+tan^2[theta])/(x(tan[theta])-y)?

What's SUVAT by the way?

((4.9x^2)/(u^2))(1+tan^2[theta]) = x(tan[theta]) - y

(4.9x^2)(1+tan^2[theta]) = (x(tan[theta]) - y)(u^2)

(u^2) = (4.9x^2)(1+tan^2[theta]) / (x(tan[theta]) - y)

What is "Finding u using SUVAT"?

"Finding u using SUVAT" is a method commonly used in physics to determine an object's initial velocity (u) using the SUVAT equations.

What does SUVAT stand for?

SUVAT is an acronym for the five kinematic equations used in physics, which stand for:
- S: displacement
- U: initial velocity
- V: final velocity
- A: acceleration
- T: time

How do you use the SUVAT equations to find u?

To find u using SUVAT, you need to know the values of at least three of the other variables (s, v, a, or t) and plug them into the appropriate equation. The most commonly used equation for finding u is u = (v-at), where v is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What are the units for the variables in the SUVAT equations?

The units for the variables in the SUVAT equations are as follows:
- S: meters (m)
- U: meters per second (m/s)
- V: meters per second (m/s)
- A: meters per second squared (m/s^2)
- T: seconds (s)

What are some common applications of "Finding u using SUVAT"?

"Finding u using SUVAT" is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate an object's initial velocity in various scenarios. For example, it can be used to determine the velocity of a projectile launched from a certain height, the speed of a car after a certain amount of time, or the initial velocity of a roller coaster at the top of a hill.