Change of variables in summations

In summary, the conversation is about a problem encountered while studying the decimation process in digital signal processing and the lack of information on the definition for changing variables in summations. The issue is resolved by using an ad-hoc method and it is discussed how this method compares to using a sequence of deltas. The lack of a specific rule for this type of substitution is also mentioned.
Lajka
Hi,

although this may sound trivial, I stumbled upon this problem while studying decimation process in digitial signal processing. I can't find anything on the web about some definition for the change of variables in sumations (as there is one for integrations), so maybe someone here could help me.

Consider the sum
1j19K.png

(the summation range is [-inf, +inf])

If I just do the substitution [itex]m=2n+5[/itex] and get this
BbapZ.png

it wouldn't be right.

Decimation leads to irreversible changes, aka, I should still have the sum of elements [itex]x[1], x[3], x[5],...[/itex], but, somehow, I now have the sum of all elements of [itex]x[n][/itex] with this simple substitution.

So, I think the right answer would be
wjmCf.png

I did this ad-hoc, using logic. I was wondering if there is a proper definition for the change of variables in summations, which takes into the account the effects of decimation (which do not exist in continuous case of course)?

Thanks in advance :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The problem is that, if n goes from minus to plus infinity, then m = 2n + 5 also goes from minus to plus infinity, but taking only odd values. So you could write

[itex]\sum_{n=-\infty}^{+\infty}x_{2n+5}=
\sum_{m=-\infty}^{+\infty}x_{m}\frac{1-(-1)^{m+1}}{2}[/itex]

This because the extra term I introduced is 0 for even m and 1 for odd m.

Yeah, that does the same thing as the sequence of deltas, but I kinda like yours more :D

I guess there isn't a rule for this 'substitution' because it's a trivial matter, but I wanted to check it still.

Thank you for your response!

Related to Change of variables in summations

1. What is a change of variables in summations?

A change of variables in summations is a mathematical technique used to simplify or evaluate a summation by substituting new variables for the original variables. This can help to make the summation more manageable and easier to work with.

2. Why is a change of variables useful in summations?

A change of variables can make it easier to evaluate or simplify a summation by allowing us to use known summation formulas or properties. It can also help to identify patterns or relationships within the summation.

3. How do you perform a change of variables in summations?

To perform a change of variables in summations, you first need to identify the original variables and the new variables you want to use. Then, you can substitute the new variables into the summation and simplify the expression using algebraic manipulation.

4. What are some common examples of change of variables in summations?

Some common examples of change of variables in summations include using the index shift property, using the geometric series formula, or using trigonometric identities to simplify the summation.

5. How can a change of variables be used to solve real-world problems?

In real-world applications, a change of variables can be used to model and solve problems involving discrete quantities, such as counting the number of possible outcomes or calculating probabilities. It can also be used to analyze data and identify trends or patterns.