Change of variables (i don,t understand)

In summary, when making the change of variables xy=u and y=v in the given integral, the new limits are \int_{-\infty}^{0}\int_{-\infty}^{v}g(u,v)dudv + \int_{0}^{\infty}\int_v^{\infty}g(u,v)dudv with the function g(u,v) including the contribution from f(x,y) and the Jacobian. The limits for u range from -infinity to v when v is negative and from v to infinity when v is positive.
eljose
let be the integral:

[tex]\int_1^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x,y)dydx [/tex]

i make the change of variable xy=u y=v whose Jacobian is 1/v but then what would be the new limits?...

Physics news on Phys.org
eljose said:
let be the integral:

i make the change of variable xy=u y=v whose Jacobian is 1/v but then what would be the new limits?...

v is y, so u = xv, and x can never be less than 1. What does that tell you about the possible values of u for any given v?

could you write the new limits...i can,t work it out the new values of v for v gives me (-8,8) (here 8 means infinite but for u i got... (0,8) is that true?..what would happen if y choose the change of variable x/y=u y=v? thanx

eljose said:
could you write the new limits...i can,t work it out the new values of v for v gives me (-8,8) (here 8 means infinite but for u i got... (0,8) is that true?..
From your original integral

you have y ranging over all reals and x ranging from +1 to infinity. With v = y, v will range over all reals and with u = xy = xv, u will range from -infinity to v when v is negative and from v to infinity when v is positive. Looks like that gives you

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{0}\int_{-\infty}^{v}g(u,v)dudv + \int_{0}^{\infty}\int_v^{\infty}g(u,v)dudv [/tex]

g(u,v) includes the contribution from f(x,y) and the Jacobian, and you need to be careful with the signs.

Related to Change of variables (i don,t understand)

What is a change of variables?

A change of variables is a mathematical process where the variables of an equation or function are replaced with new variables. This is often done to simplify a problem or to transform the problem into a more manageable form.

Why is a change of variables useful?

A change of variables can be useful in many ways. It can help to simplify complex equations, make them easier to solve, or reveal hidden patterns or relationships in the data. It can also be used to transform an equation into a form that is more familiar or easier to work with.

How do you perform a change of variables?

The process of performing a change of variables varies depending on the type of problem. In general, you need to identify the variables you want to change and then use a substitution or transformation to replace them with new variables. It is important to ensure that the new variables are consistent with the original problem and that the solution is valid.

What are some common examples of a change of variables?

Some common examples of a change of variables include converting cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, transforming a non-linear equation into a linear equation, or using a logarithmic transformation to convert exponential relationships into linear relationships.

Why is it important to understand change of variables?

Understanding change of variables is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science. It can be used to solve a wide range of problems and is essential for advanced mathematical and scientific research. Additionally, understanding change of variables can help to improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.