Change of variables and discrete derivatives

In summary: Can someone please helpIn summary, the conversation is about evaluating partial derivatives of a wavefunction defined on a grid. The wavefunction is defined on equally spaced points along three axes. The person has constructed derivative matrices using finite differences, but is unsure how to convert them to partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z. They have attempted to use a chain rule, but are unsure how to express the derivatives in terms of matrices. They are seeking help with this problem and have mentioned the use of stencils in numerical analysis.
pericles
Hey

I am trying to evaluate d/dx, d/dy and d/dz of a wavefunction defined on a grid. I have the wavefunction defined on equally spaced points along three axes a=x+y-z, b=x-y+z and c=-x+y+z. I can therefore construct the derivative matrices d/da, d/db and d/dc using finite differences but I don't know how to convert these to d/dx, d/dy and d/dz.

I have been trying to use some sort of chain rule

d/dx=d/da*da/dx+d/db*db/dx+d/dc*dc/dx ... but I do not know how to express da/dx, db/dx and dc/dx using matrices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Homework Statement

Hey

I am trying to evaluate d/dx, d/dy and d/dz of a wavefunction defined on a grid. I have the wavefunction defined on equally spaced points along three axes a=x+y-z, b=x-y+z and c=-x+y+z. I can therefore construct the derivative matrices d/da, d/db and d/dc using finite differences but I don't know how to convert these to d/dx, d/dy and d/dz.

d/dx=d/da*da/dx+d/db*db/dx+d/dc*dc/dx ... but I do not know how to express da/dx, db/dx and dc/dx using matrices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Homework Equations

a=x+y-z,
b=x-y+z
and c=-x+y+z
x=½(a+b)
y=½(a+c)
z=½(c+b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using [(d/da*x)]^(-1) but it does not work

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If the problem is to approximate the partial derivatives of a smooth function from the values of the function on a grid, you should look up the topic of "stencils" in numerical analysis. Search on keywords like "stencil, derivatives, 3D".

Stephen Tashi said:
If the problem is to approximate the partial derivatives of a smooth function from the values of the function on a grid, you should look up the topic of "stencils" in numerical analysis. Search on keywords like "stencil, derivatives, 3D".

My problem is somewhat different...

I have the partial derivatives with respect to a, b and c but would like partial derivatives with respect to x, y and z.

I have used a stencil (I think) in order to get the partials with respect to a, b and c.

Related to Change of variables and discrete derivatives

What is the concept of change of variables in mathematics?

Change of variables is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve problems involving multiple variables. It involves substituting new variables for existing ones in a function or equation, often resulting in a more manageable form.

How is change of variables related to discrete derivatives?

Change of variables is often used in conjunction with discrete derivatives to simplify the calculation of derivatives in discrete or discrete-time systems. It allows for the transformation of a function from one discrete variable to another, making it easier to compute the derivative with respect to the new variable.

What is the difference between discrete derivatives and continuous derivatives?

The main difference between discrete derivatives and continuous derivatives is that discrete derivatives are calculated for a discrete set of points, while continuous derivatives are calculated for a continuous range of values. This means that discrete derivatives are only defined at specific points, while continuous derivatives can be calculated at any point within a continuous function.

What are some real-world applications of change of variables and discrete derivatives?

Change of variables and discrete derivatives have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to model and analyze systems with discrete or discrete-time components, such as discrete-time control systems, discrete-event systems, and discrete-time signal processing.

What are some common techniques for calculating discrete derivatives?

There are several techniques for calculating discrete derivatives, including forward difference, backward difference, central difference, and finite difference methods. These methods involve approximating the derivative at a point using the values of the function at nearby points.