Change of the angular velocity vector

In summary, the first version of the equation for the new angular velocity is correct, but the second version is incorrect.
athrun200

Homework Statement

I don't know how to solve part(b).
See the photo Q3 for the question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

See the photo 2010Q3

I found the torque and hence the new angular momentum vector. But I wonder how could this help me to find the angle between the new and old angular velocity vector.

Attachments

• Q3.jpg
    Q3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 443
  • 2010Q3.jpg
    2010Q3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result for the moment of inertia tensor looks good to me.

In your expression for the torque, I don't see where the factor of 1/2 comes from when writing R/2. [EDIT: Otherwise, I think your expression for the final angular momentum is correct].

Are you familiar with Euler's equations for rigid body rotation? I think they will lead to the answer fairly quickly. If not, then you will need to relate the final angular momentum to the final angular velocity components using the (new) final components of the moment of inertia tensor in the fixed inertial frame.

Last edited:
Ha...That was a stupid mistake. That should be R not R/2.

I have learned Euler equation. But I am not sure what values to be put for those ω.
See my photo attached below

Attachments

• Euler.jpg
    Euler.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 444
Maybe a sign error for the last term of your first equation.

Use these equations at time t = 0 to find the rate of change of each component of ω at time t = 0.

I used both method to solve this problem.
But I discovered that the new angular velocitys (only the x component) obtained from 2 methods are not the same.
Which version is wrong?

Attachments

• method1.jpg
    method1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 442
  • method2.jpg
    method2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 417
First version looks good.

For the second version, note that ##\tau = \dot L## holds only in an inertial frame. At the end of the small time interval the point mass will have rotated out of the yz plane in the fixed inertial frame. So, the moment of inertia tensor will no longer be diagonal in the inertial frame.

Thank you very much!

Related to Change of the angular velocity vector

1. What is angular velocity and how does it change?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a specific axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. The change of the angular velocity vector occurs when there is a change in either the magnitude or direction of the angular velocity.

2. What causes a change in the angular velocity vector?

A change in the angular velocity vector can be caused by two main factors: a change in the magnitude of the angular velocity due to a change in rotational speed, and a change in the direction of the angular velocity due to a change in the axis of rotation.

3. How is the change of the angular velocity vector calculated?

The change of the angular velocity vector can be calculated using the formula Δω = ωf - ωi, where Δω represents the change in the angular velocity, ωf is the final angular velocity, and ωi is the initial angular velocity.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related by the radius of rotation. Specifically, the linear velocity is equal to the product of the angular velocity and the radius of rotation, or v = ωr. This means that an increase in angular velocity will result in a higher linear velocity if the radius of rotation remains constant.

5. How does a change in the angular velocity vector affect the motion of an object?

A change in the angular velocity vector can affect the motion of an object in several ways. If the magnitude of the angular velocity changes, the object's rotational speed will either increase or decrease. If the direction of the angular velocity changes, the object's axis of rotation will also change, affecting its overall motion. Additionally, a change in the angular velocity vector may also result in a change in the object's angular momentum.