Change of sign on Green's functions (Maths problem)

In summary, the conversation is about a model involving non-interacting Green functions and the density of states for a channel of electrons. The speaker is trying to solve the model and is discussing the results they have obtained so far. They mention a constant density of states and a Lorentzian density of states, and discuss the integral for both cases. They also mention taking a limit and the resulting confusion. The speaker then clarifies their doubt and concludes that the post can be closed.
gonadas91
Hi, I am trying to solve a model where Non-interacting Green functions take part it. It has happened something that is spinning my head and I hope someone could help. The non interacting Green function for a chanel of electrons is:
[tex] G_{0}(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}d\epsilon\nu(\epsilon)\frac{1}{\omega - \epsilon + i\delta\text{sign($\omega$)}}[/tex]
where I am integrating over the whole energy spectrum since I consider the chanel as a whole. I have to mention that I am at T=0 and [tex] \nu(\epsilon)[/tex] is the density of states on the chanel. Ok, suppose we have a constant density of states. Then, the real part of the integral cancels (gives a cosntant part which is irrelevant) and the imaginary part, since [tex]\delta\to 0[/tex] becomes a delta function inside. Therefore:
[tex] G_{0}(\omega)=-i \nu\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}d\epsilon\delta(\omega - \epsilon)=-i\nu\text{$sign(Re(\omega))$}[/tex]

We notice the dependence with the REAL part of the excitation energies [tex]\omega[/tex]. Now, imagine that instead of a constant density of states, this density of states is a Lorentzian of the type:
[tex]\frac{\Lambda}{\Lambda^{2} + \epsilon^{2}}[/tex]
Then the integral above can be completed in the complex plane using contour integration, and the result gives:
[tex] G_{0}(\omega)=\frac{\nu}{\frac{\omega}{\Lambda} + i\text{$sign(Im(\omega))$}} + \frac{i\nu\Lambda\text{$sign(Re(\omega))$}}{\Lambda^{2}+\omega^{2}}[/tex]

Now, taking [tex]\Lambda\to\infty[/tex] should gives us the result of the flat density of states but instead it gives the sign with the imaginary part! Someone can help on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok now doubt is solved I just did it at the end so this post can be closed ;)

It is just that I took wrong the limit.

Related to Change of sign on Green's functions (Maths problem)

1. What is a Green's function?

A Green's function is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It represents the response of a system to a specific type of input, known as a delta function.

2. How does a change of sign on a Green's function affect the solution?

A change of sign on a Green's function can result in a change of sign on the overall solution of the differential equation. This is because the Green's function is used to calculate the solution and any change in its sign will affect the final result.

3. Under what conditions does the Green's function change sign?

The Green's function can change sign when there are changes in the boundary conditions or the input function of the differential equation. It can also change sign when there are changes in the domain or the type of differential equation being solved.

4. How does a change of sign on the Green's function affect the physical interpretation of the solution?

A change of sign on the Green's function can change the direction or magnitude of the solution, which can affect its physical interpretation. It is important to consider the sign of the Green's function when interpreting the solution in physical terms.

5. Can a change of sign on the Green's function lead to multiple solutions?

Yes, a change of sign on the Green's function can lead to multiple solutions for the same differential equation. This is because the Green's function is a fundamental part of the solution process and any changes to it can result in different solutions.