Change of Schrodinger equation when we change frame of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of three interacting particles where two particles have infinite mass and do not interact. The quantum mechanics of a unit mass particle interacting with the other two particles is described by a time-dependent Schrodinger equation. However, when considering the equation in a frame of reference where one particle is at rest, there is a discrepancy in the final term. It is suggested that the paper may have a sign error or that a transformation is needed.
AxiomOfChoice
Hi! I think this should be a fairly easy question to resolve, but it's currently giving me fits...

Suppose we consider a system of three interacting particles where we assume two of the particle (at positions r1 and r2) have infinite mass (such that we can ignore their kinetic energy) and do not interact. Suppose r1 follows the trajectory r1 = v1t and similarly for r2 = v2t.

Suppose we want to investigate the quantum mechanics of a particle of unit mass located at x that interacts with particle 1 through V1 and particle 2 with V2. I think I'm correct in saying that this corresponds to the time-dependent Schrodinger equation given by

[tex]
i \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = -\frac 12 \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} + V_1(x - v_1t)\psi + V_2(x-v_2t)\psi.
[/tex]

But what if we want to consider this equation in a frame of reference where the particle at r1 is at rest? If we let z denote the vector x - r1 = x - v1t, shouldn't the above Schrodinger equation change to...

[tex]
i \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial t} = - \frac 12 \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial z^2} + V_1(z)\Psi + V_2(z + (v_1 - v_2)t)\Psi
[/tex]

I'm currently reading through a paper that claims the final V_2 term should read

[tex]
V_2(z - (v_1 - v_2)t)\Psi,
[/tex]

and I can't seem to figure out why. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a sign error in the paper.
Or, if V2(x)=V2(-x), a transformation z -> -z

Related to Change of Schrodinger equation when we change frame of reference

1. How does the Schrodinger equation change when we change the frame of reference?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. When we change the frame of reference, the equation remains the same. The wavefunction, which is a solution to the Schrodinger equation, will transform according to the rules of quantum mechanics, but the equation itself does not change.

2. Can changing the frame of reference affect the behavior of a quantum system?

Yes, changing the frame of reference can affect the behavior of a quantum system. This is because the wavefunction, which describes the state of the system, will transform differently in different frames of reference. This can result in different observations and measurements of the system.

3. What happens to the Schrodinger equation in a relativistic framework?

In a relativistic framework, the Schrodinger equation is replaced by the Dirac equation, which is a more general form of the equation that takes into account the effects of special relativity. The Dirac equation describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in a relativistic framework.

4. How does the Schrodinger equation change in different coordinate systems?

The Schrodinger equation remains the same in different coordinate systems. However, the wavefunction will transform according to the rules of quantum mechanics in each coordinate system. This means that the form of the equation will not change, but the solutions to the equation will be different in different coordinate systems.

5. Can the Schrodinger equation be used in all reference frames?

The Schrodinger equation can be used in non-relativistic reference frames, where the effects of special relativity are negligible. However, in relativistic reference frames, the Dirac equation or other more general forms of the equation must be used. Additionally, in certain situations, such as when dealing with extremely small particles or high energies, other equations, such as the Klein-Gordon equation, may be more appropriate.