Change of phase in total internal reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a phase change during total internal reflection, specifically in the case of covering copper with a thin layer of glass and reflecting 200 MHz EM waves from water. It is determined that the thin layer of glass would not have a significant effect on the reflection, as the copper dominates and the transit time for the EM waves is only a few picoseconds. It is also noted that a thick enough layer of dielectric would be necessary to see an effect on the radio waves. The reflection coefficient is discussed and it is calculated for a water interface over copper at a 45 degree incident angle. The resulting reflection coefficient is determined to be -1 - 2.40081795943819e-009i,
htg
I would like to know if there is change of phase during total internal reflection. (In particular I would like to know if I can cover copper with several microns of glass and have it reflect 200 MHz EM waves coming from water (epsilon(H2O)=80, epsilon(glass)=4)).

Science news on Phys.org
The thin layer (compared with the wavelength involved) of glass would not have any significant effect, I think. The copper would dominate and it would be a case of reflection by a metal surface.

It it not clear to me. The layer of copper is also thin, but it reflects close to 100% of tha wave energy. This is why I am interested in the phase change in the case of reflection from the water/glass interface.

But it can't significantly alter the phase as its so thin - the transit time must be only a few picoseconds.

sophiecentaur said:
But it can't significantly alter the phase as its so thin - the transit time must be only a few picoseconds.
Somehow comparably thin layer of Cu changes the phase by about Pi radians during reflection.

Ah yes but the skin depth is minute for copper because of it high conductivity. Glass is a dielectric and things are different because the wave can penetrate. The evanescent wave 'behind' the interface doesn't have a chance to form before it hits the copper.

sophiecentaur said:
Ah yes but the skin depth is minute for copper because of it high conductivity. Glass is a dielectric and things are different because the wave can penetrate. The evanescent wave 'behind' the interface doesn't have a chance to form before it hits the copper.
I hope you are right. By the way, what happens to phase during total internal reflection when we have a thick enough layer of dielectric?

200 MHz corresponds still to a wavelength on the order of 1 meter in glass.
To see an effect of the glass on the radio waves it should be at least as thick.
In copper the situation is different. The dielectric constant is very large and negative so that the penetration depth is only, say, some micro meters.

htg said:
I hope you are right. By the way, what happens to phase during total internal reflection when we have a thick enough layer of dielectric?

As I recall, the reflection coefficient is +1 for total internal reflection at a dielectric to dielectric interface at the critical angle. But of course there is a 180 degree phase shift for one of the components (the magnetic field I think) due to the change in the direction. Beyond the critical angle, the reflection coefficient becomes complex and you introduce a phase shift to both components I believe.

But yeah, having a thin layer of dielectric on the copper is not going to do anything. The resulting reflection coefficient is

[tex] R = \frac{R_{12}+R_{23}e^{2ik_zd}}{1+R_{12}R_{23}e^{2ik_zd}} [/tex]

For a thin dielectric the exponential is approximately 1 and R_{23} = -1 for a PEC and thus the total reflection coefficient is approximately -1. So no real difference.

We can also recast it as

[tex] R = R_{12} + \frac{T_{12}R_{23}T_{21}e^{2ik_zd}}{1-R_{21}R_{23}e^{2ik_zd}} [/tex]

If we have total internal reflection, then R_{21} = 1, T_{21} = 2 and as before R_{23} = -1. Thus,

[tex] R = R_{12} - T_{12} = -1[/tex]

We can easily calculate this exactly for a water interface of 1 mm over copper with an incident angle of 45 degrees. The total reflection coefficient is -1 - 2.40081795943819e-009i.

Last edited:
Born2bwire said:
We can easily calculate this exactly for a water interface of 1 mm over copper with an incident angle of 45 degrees.
The total reflection coefficient is -1 - 2.40081795943819e-009i.

What is e-009i ? (The decimal point of the exponent is not there)

htg said:
What is e-009i ? (The decimal point of the exponent is not there)

10^(-9)*i.

Related to Change of phase in total internal reflection

1. What is total internal reflection and how does it occur?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium at an angle of incidence greater than the critical angle. This causes the light to reflect back into the denser medium instead of refracting through the interface.

2. What is the critical angle and how is it related to total internal reflection?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection occurs. It is determined by the refractive indices of the two mediums and can be calculated using Snell's law. When the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, total internal reflection will occur.

3. What factors affect the critical angle and the occurrence of total internal reflection?

The critical angle is affected by the refractive indices of the two mediums, with a larger difference resulting in a smaller critical angle. The angle of incidence also plays a role, as a larger angle will result in a smaller critical angle. Additionally, the wavelength of the light and the surface roughness of the interface can also affect the occurrence of total internal reflection.

4. What are some real-world applications of total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is used in various technologies such as fiber optics, prisms, and optical devices. It is also utilized in nature by certain animals, such as insects and fish, for their vision and communication systems.

5. How does change of phase occur in total internal reflection?

In total internal reflection, the light ray undergoes a phase change of 180 degrees upon reflection. This means that the light wave is inverted upon reflection, resulting in a change of phase. This phenomenon is useful in certain applications, such as in interferometry and optical polarizers.