Change of P and T after a chemical reaction

In summary, the conversation discussed the evaluation of changes in temperature and pressure in a closed chemical system. It was suggested to use an equation of state and consider phase equilibrium if there are multiple phases present. The possibility of using an ideal gas mixture without phase change was also mentioned, with a potential method involving the standard internal energy change and sensible heat of the products. It was suggested to consult physical properties books or use Google for further guidance.
dRic2
Gold Member
If I have a chemical reaction in closed system, how can I evaluate the change in T and P?

I have:
- one equation for the chemical equilibrium
- one equation for the energy balance

but I need an other one! entropy balance, maybe?

Thanks
Ric

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How about an equation of state ? And phase equilibrium - if more phases are present.

Likes dRic2
So simple! Thank you!

Anyway, if more phases are present (and of course I have to include the equations for phase equilibria) how do I set up the EoS? Should I just choose a random component of the system and write the EoS for it ?

dRic2 said:
and of course I have to include the equations for phase equilibria
well, I mentioned them because you did not :rolleyes:

Is this homework ? What is the context for this exercise ? You have a library full of books on physical properties for chemistry -- there must be a section on mixing rules in one of them ?

Alternatively: google is your friend

No I was just thinking. When I studied thermodynamic usually I ran into exercises with constant P but I never had the chance to study a system with both a change in T and PPS: I totally forgot about mixutres, thanks again! ;)

Would you know how to do it if there were no phase change and you were dealing with an ideal gas mixture?

Yes

It would be something like this (I guess):

##dG_{T, P} = 0## (chemical equilibrium)
##ΔU = Q + L → ΔU = 0##
##pv=RT##

dRic2 said:
It would be something like this (I guess):

##dG_{T, P} = 0## (chemical equilibrium)
##ΔU = Q + L → ΔU = 0##
##pv=RT##
##\Delta U=0## would have to be accompanied by some consideration of the standard internal energy change for the reaction and the change in sensible heat of the products. There is an analysis of this in a recent thread. I'll try to locate the link.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
ΔU=0ΔU=0\Delta U=0 would have to be accompanied by some consideration of the standard internal energy change for the reaction and the change in sensible heat of the products.

I would do like I do if I have to work with enthalpy:

##U_A = U_B##

##U_A = \sum n_{i, A}( u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT)##

where ##T_r## is an arbitrary temperature (of reference).

##U_B = \sum n_{i, B} (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT) = \sum (n_{i, A} + \lambda*v_i)(u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT + \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) ##

where ##\lambda## is the extent of reaction and ##v_i## is the stoichiometric coefficient for the i-specie. I do the product and I get:

##U_B = \sum n_{i, A} (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT) + \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) + \sum \lambda*v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT + \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT )##

##U_B = \sum n_{i, A} (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT) + \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) + \sum \lambda*v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT)##

So ##U_A-U_B## is:

##U_A-U_B = \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) + \sum \lambda*v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT) = 0##

Extracting ##\lambda## from the summation I get:

## \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) = - \lambda \sum v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT)##

Now I set ##u(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT = Δu_{formation, i}(T)## and so ##\sum v_i*Δu(T)_{formation, i} = ΔU(T)_{reaction}## just like I would do with ##h##.

Is it wrong ?

Last edited:
dRic2 said:
I would do like I do if I have to work with entalpy:

##U_A = U_B##

##U_A = \sum n_{i, A}( u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT)##

where ##T_r## is an arbitrary temperature (of reference).

##U_B = \sum n_{i, B} (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT) = \sum (n_{i, A} + \lambda*v_i)(u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT + \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) ##

where ##\lambda## is the extent of reaction and ##v_i## is the stoichiometric coefficient for the i-specie. I do the product and I get:

##U_B = \sum n_{i, A} (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT) + \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) + \sum \lambda*v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT + \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT )##

##U_B = \sum n_{i, A} (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_A} c_{v, i} dT) + \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) + \sum \lambda*v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT)##

So ##U_A-U_B## is:

##U_A-U_B = \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) + \sum \lambda*v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT) = 0##

Extracting ##\lambda## from the summation I get:

## \sum (n_{i, A} \int_{T_A}^{T_B} c_{v, i} dT ) = - \lambda \sum v_i * (u_i(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT)##

Now I set ##u(T_r) + \int_{T_r}^{T_B} c_{v,i} dT = Δu_{formation, i}(T)## and so ##\sum v_i*Δu(T)_{formation, i} = Δu(T)_{reaction}## just like I would do with ##h##.

Is it wrong ?
It's OK as long as the number of moles of gas doesn't change between the reactants and the products. In that case, the standard change in internal energy (at constant volume) would be equal to the standard change in enthalpy (at constant pressure). However, if there is a change in the number of moles, the standard internal energy change of reaction and the standard enthalpy change differ.

I don't get it... My reasoning seems to me the same whether the number of moles changes or not. In my previous post U refers to internal energy, not enthalpy.

dRic2 said:
I don't get it... My reasoning seems to me the same whether the number of moles changes or not. In my previous post U refers to internal energy, not enthalpy.
Sorry. I got confused when you mentioned enthalpy. In addition, the data you are going to have available is almost certainly going to be only enthalpies of formation, not internal energies of formation. So this has to be converted to standard internal energies of the reaction, and the conversion is going to involve the change in the number of moles.

Chestermiller said:
Sorry. I got confused when you mentioned enthalpy.

I'm a pretty messy guy in writing, my fault. Anyway I'd like to know if that is correct because I've never encountered an internal energy of formation. I don't think it is a big deal, but I'd like to be sure.

dRic2 said:
I'm a pretty messy guy in writing, my fault. Anyway I'd like to know if that is correct because I've never encountered an internal energy of formation. I don't think it is a big deal, but I'd like to be sure.
I think what you did is valid. Basically, what you are using are the internal energies at the standard temperature and pressure.

Chestermiller said:
In addition, the data you are going to have available is almost certainly going to be only enthalpies of formation, not internal energies of formation. So this has to be converted to standard internal energies of the reaction, and the conversion is going to involve the change in the number of moles.

I thought internal energy of reaction is simply - by definition - ##\Delta U_R(T) = \sum v_i \Delta u_{f, i}^°(T)## where ##U_{f, i}^°(T)## is the internal energy of formation of i. (The number of moles does not play a role here, but I may be wrong)

So the real problem, as you pointed out, is how to evaluate ##u_{f, i}^°(T)##.

dRic2 said:
I thought internal energy of reaction is simply - by definition - ##\Delta u_R(T) = \sum v_i \Delta u_{f, i}^°(T)## where ##u_{f, i}^°(T)## is the internal energy of formation of i. (The number of moles does not play a role here, but I may be wrong)

So the real problem, as you pointed out, is how to evaluate ##u_{f, i}^°(T)##.
As I said, you are not going to find internal energies of formation in tables. You are going to find enthalpies of formation in tables. And to convert to internal energies of formation, you are going to need a ## Pv## for each species.

Likes dRic2
Thank you, I have to study this topic a little bit more because I do not remember it very well.

Related to Change of P and T after a chemical reaction

1. How does a chemical reaction affect pressure and temperature?

During a chemical reaction, there may be a change in the number of gas molecules present, which can lead to a change in pressure. Additionally, the release or absorption of energy during the reaction can cause a change in temperature.

2. Can pressure and temperature affect the outcome of a chemical reaction?

Yes, pressure and temperature can play a significant role in the outcome of a chemical reaction. For example, increasing the pressure can lead to a higher rate of reaction, while increasing the temperature can cause the reaction to occur faster or slower depending on the specific reaction.

3. How do you calculate the change in pressure and temperature after a chemical reaction?

The change in pressure can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas present and the temperature. The change in temperature can be calculated by determining the difference between the initial and final temperatures.

4. What factors can influence the change in pressure and temperature after a chemical reaction?

The amount of reactants present, the energy released or absorbed during the reaction, and the volume of the reaction vessel can all influence the change in pressure and temperature after a chemical reaction. Additionally, external factors such as ambient temperature and pressure can also play a role.

5. How can one control the change in pressure and temperature during a chemical reaction?

The change in pressure and temperature can be controlled by adjusting the amount of reactants present, the temperature and pressure of the reaction vessel, and the rate of energy release or absorption. Following proper experimental procedures and using appropriate equipment can also help control these factors during a chemical reaction.