Change of design, making it look more professional

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, Change of design is making it look more "professional". Some things like the font or the use of a bird logo are not to everyone's taste.
Werg22
Change of design, making it look more "professional"

I'm not trying to bash the current design of the forum, it's perfectly decent. But I do think that it doesn't quite do much to attract new users. The way I see it, it makes the forum look less "sophisticated" than it is. I think things like embossed bars, the round corners or the little atom icons do a disservice to the forum. When people first find this site, they should understand that this is a no-nonsense forum, and the best way to show this is with a professional, simple and clean design. For the sake of example, take a look at this place: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/". When I first see it, I am confident that the people there know what they are talking about, and not just a bunch of pedantic, misinformed teenage internauts. I'm not saying that the site should itself too seriously, but it is, after all, a science forum. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Actually, I really like the PF design the way it is. Its clean, simple and smart.

The one you posted is bla.

Maybe it's because I'm much more familiar with PF, but I much prefer the layout of PF over the layout of linuxforums.

I think PF looks perfectly professional as it is.

So you want a bird logo?

The font used leaves me cold, don't like it. It's big bolded blue font, rather than the simple clean regular size black font used here.

I don't think we need to get fancy and hokey, PF looks more professional and clean.

Werg22 said:
I'm not trying to bash the current design of the forum, it's perfectly decent. But I do think that it doesn't quite do much to attract new users. The way I see it, it makes the forum look less "sophisticated" than it is. I think things like embossed bars, the round corners or the little atom icons do a disservice to the forum. When people first find this site, they should understand that this is a no-nonsense forum, and the best way to show this is with a professional, simple and clean design. For the sake of example, take a look at this place: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/". When I first see it, I am confident that the people there know what they are talking about, and not just a bunch of pedantic, misinformed teenage internauts. I'm not saying that the site should itself too seriously, but it is, after all, a science forum. Just my 2 cents.

Facebook changed their design pretty much to like that one, I just find it uncomfortable to work with ..

The main difference I see is that they are using all page width.

e.g. It is wide to read this part:
"Welcome To The Linux Forums!
Welcome to Linux Forums. We pride ourselves in being one of the largest Linux communities on the web, we encourage you to REGISTER on our forums and participate in the community. There are over 150,000 members ready to answer your questions. JOINING US today will allow you to make new posts, get support, send messages to other members and submit downloads to our downloads directory and many other great features!"

I need to move my face : lots more effort

2. when you scroll pf main page, you only see the forums in your eyes (or due to that border effect, they are easy to see)
On that site they seem to putting it just in the page (it doesn't come out)

3. It sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Werg, thanks for your comments and suggestions. Please know that creating a professional yet warm design is very important to us. In fact there are days I analyze it and really try to figure out how to make things more clear, uncluttered and easy to read.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Werg, thanks for your comments and suggestions. Please know that creating a professional yet warm design is very important to us. In fact there are days I analyze it and really try to figure out how to make things more clear, uncluttered and easy to read.

I agree, making a separate Aero and Mechanical section would be clear and uncluttered. :devil: </subliminal messages>

SO what is the new logo thingy of?

There's a new logo?

Cyrus said:
I agree, making a separate Aero and Mechanical section would be clear and uncluttered. :devil: </subliminal messages>

You want a section on chocolate bars? Some people around here might quite like that.

I think the PF design is professional and uncluttered. To me the linux forums looks amateurish.

We certainly welcome suggestions for improvements, though I really don't think looking like that linux forum would be an improvement. It looks like they just took the plain, boring default settings and used them. It's kind of harsh on the eyes.

There are a lot of things I really like about how Greg has set up PF in its current form. For example, having text boxes that aren't quite bright white, so they don't have that harsh glare of other forums, is a really nice touch.

Mostly, it is a very clean, no-nonsense style, yet not drab and boring looking like the forum design came straight out of the box.

I wouldn't mind seeing those little atom logos change on the forum index, but would want to see a suggestion of something better before 'demanding' it, because I just don't have any idea on what to put in its place that would be better.

Related to Change of design, making it look more professional

1. What are the benefits of a more professional design?

A more professional design can help improve the overall image and credibility of your brand or product. It can also attract more potential customers and make your brand appear more trustworthy and established.

2. How can I make my design more professional?

There are several ways to make a design look more professional. This includes using a clean and cohesive layout, choosing appropriate fonts and colors, and utilizing high-quality images and graphics.

3. Will changing the design affect my current branding?

Changing the design can affect your current branding, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a negative impact. If done correctly, a change in design can help strengthen your brand and make it more memorable.

4. How do I know when it's time to change my design?

If your current design is outdated, not visually appealing, or not effectively conveying your message, it may be time for a change. It's also important to keep up with current design trends and make adjustments accordingly.

5. Should I hire a professional designer for a more professional design?

If you have the resources, hiring a professional designer can greatly benefit the quality and effectiveness of your design. They have the skills and experience to create a professional and visually appealing design that aligns with your brand and goals.