Precalc absolute value fuction

In summary, to solve the equation |X-16| - |X-2| = ? given X<7, we first determine the possible values of |X-16| and |X-2| based on the given condition of X<7. Then, we can simplify the equation and solve for X by considering the different scenarios when X is less than or greater than 2. The final solution is either 18-2X or 14, depending on the value of X.
gawman
Detemine |X-16| - |X-2| = ? given X<7

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Boy, it has been ages since I have seen/solved one of these.

I am probably mistaken, but I think this might be the way this is solved:

0 < |x-16| - |x-2| < 7
I think at this step, the absolute value symbols disappear.
Then solve for x.

Anyone else, please feel free to correct me. It has been far too long for me to recall if this is the correct path to the solution.

If X< 7 then X-16< 7-16= -9. Since this X-16 is negative,
|X-16|= -(X-16)= 16-X.
If X< 7, then X-2< 5. "< 5" may be EITHER positive or negative so this is not enough to tell us what |X-2| is. It should be clear that the "break" occurs at X= 2 (just as the "break" in |X-16| occurs at X= 16. If x< 7, then X must be less than 16).

If 2<= X< 7, then |X-16|= -(X-16)= 16- X (because X< 7< 16) and
|X-2|= X- 2 (X-2 is non-negative). |X-16|- |X-2|= 16-X- X+ 2= 18- 2X

If X<= 2, then |X-16|= 16- X as above and |X-2|= -(X-2)= 2-X (X- 2 is now negative). |X- 16|- |X-2|= 16-X-(2-X)= 16-X-2+X= 14.

|X-16|- |X-2|= 18- 2X if 2<= X< 7
= 14 if X< 2

1. What is a precalculus absolute value function?

A precalculus absolute value function is a mathematical function that calculates the distance between a point and the origin on a number line. It is represented by the symbol |x| and always returns a positive value.

2. How do you graph a precalculus absolute value function?

To graph a precalculus absolute value function, you can plot points by substituting different values for x and calculating the corresponding y values. You can also use transformations, such as reflecting the graph over the x-axis or shifting it horizontally or vertically.

3. What are the key features of a precalculus absolute value function graph?

The key features of a precalculus absolute value function graph include a V-shaped graph, a horizontal line at y=0, and symmetry about the y-axis. The vertex of the V-shaped graph represents the minimum or maximum value of the function, and the distance from the vertex to the horizontal line represents the value of the absolute value expression.

4. How do you solve equations involving precalculus absolute value functions?

To solve equations involving precalculus absolute value functions, you need to isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, you can set up two equations, one with a positive value and one with a negative value, and solve for x in each equation. The solutions will be the x-values that make the absolute value expression equal to the given value.

5. What are some real-life applications of precalculus absolute value functions?

Precalculus absolute value functions can be used to calculate distances in real-life situations, such as finding the distance between two cities on a map or the displacement of an object in physics. They can also be used to model situations where a quantity can only take on positive values, such as the height of a building or the temperature of a room.