Solving String Wave Frequency: 6m in 0.5s

In summary, the wave frequency of a string can be calculated by dividing the wave speed by the wavelength. The formula for wave frequency is f = v/λ. The length of a string does not affect its wave frequency as it is determined by the medium's properties. Wave frequency and period are inversely related, with the relationship expressed as T = 1/f. The wave frequency of a string can be changed by altering the wave speed or wavelength through changing tension, length, or properties of the medium.
cseet
Hi all,

I can't seemed to figure this out...

question:
one end of the string 6m long is moved up and down with simple harmonic motion at a frequency of 60Hz. the wave reach the other end of the string in 0.5s. find the wavelength of the waves on the string.

I know wavelength = velocity / frequency
but how do I find the velocity given that string is 6m and takes 0.5s to reach the other end... it seemed too simple for you, I do apologise...

pls direct
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
v = d/t...

cookiemonster

thanks cookiemonster...you're a gem!

1. How do you calculate the wave frequency of a string?

The wave frequency of a string can be calculated by dividing the wave speed (in meters per second) by the wavelength (in meters). This will give you the frequency in Hertz (Hz).

2. What is the formula for wave frequency?

The formula for wave frequency is f = v/λ, where f is frequency, v is wave speed, and λ is wavelength.

3. How does the length of a string affect its wave frequency?

The length of a string does not affect its wave frequency. The wave frequency is determined by the wave speed and wavelength, which are both properties of the medium the wave is traveling through.

4. What is the relationship between wave frequency and wave period?

Wave frequency and wave period are inversely related. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases. The relationship can be expressed as T = 1/f, where T is period and f is frequency.

5. Can the wave frequency of a string be changed?

Yes, the wave frequency of a string can be changed by altering the wave speed or wavelength. This can be achieved by changing the tension or length of the string or by changing the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through.