Change in scales causing change in gradient?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student's mistake in plotting a graph of velocity against time. They realized their error in not converting the horizontal units to match the scale and were seeking advice on avoiding similar mistakes in the future. The group discussed different methods for calculating the gradient and the importance of using correct units throughout the calculations. It was concluded that mistakes are a valuable learning experience and can help in teaching others.
Richie Smash
Hello I plotted a graph of velocity against time only to realize that I needed more space on the X axis, so I changed my scale from instead of 2cm= 10 seconds to 2cm =20 seconds.

My Y axis remained constant with a scale of 2cm= 10 m/s

However, the gradient I got from the first scale was 1.15m/s2 and this even coincides with the data given.

But with my new readjusted scale to fit the page I'm getting a gradient of 2.4 m/s2.

How can this be? the graph is a straight line so the acceleration is constant according to the data given, am I plotting this wrong??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
However, the gradient I got from the first scale was 1.15m/s2 and this even coincides with the data given.
How are you calculating that gradient?

Dr Claude, I am using the triangle method and then dividing the vertical units by the horizontal units, using two poitns that are NOT given in the data but instead two points from the line of best fit I drew, which is standard practice for this level

It's somewhat hard to determine what you did wrong without seeing any work or a picture of your chart.

If you've computed the slope using algebraic means you should get the same value ie ##(y1-y0)/(x1-x0)## for your acceleration (velocity/seconds ie ##m/s^2##)

If instead you are using the grids on your graph paper then of course you'll get something different unless you adjust for the x length of the grid element.

As an example, if you computed it using ##(y1-y0)## in centimeters over ##(x1-x0)## in centimeters then that is wrong.

Whereas if you computed it ##( (y1-y0).in.cm) * (10m/s.per.cm) )## over ##( ((x1-x0).in.cm) * (20 seconds.per.cm))##

Likes scottdave
Richie Smash said:
Dr Claude, I am using the triangle method and then dividing the vertical units by the horizontal units
Then my guess is that you are not calculating the units correctly.

Can you post the plots you did? It may help in figuring where you are going wrong.

Ok here are my images with the scales represented above and the data presented to plot orginally...

However I realized what I did wrong... I simply forgot to convert thehorizontal units in my new graph the second picture, to suit...it was just one tiny mistake... how DO I avoid these? The test I'm studying for specifically wants me to do the triangle method, bigger than half the line, etc.

BUt there's not much time and I somtimes I just make silly errors, now I feel dumb sorry for this silly post

Attachments

• 20180521_094345.jpg
    20180521_094345.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 572
  • 20180521_094841.jpg
    20180521_094841.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 560
  • 20180521_094942.jpg
    20180521_094942.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 560
This is NOT a silly post. We all learn from our mistakes.

The most humbling thing is that we learn we make mistakes. The second thing is in reconstructing our reasoning we might determine why we made the mistake.

To be fair, you caught your mistake and that is a very hopeful sign that you're really grasping the subject. This mistake will stick with you forever and I'm sure you won't make this same mistake twice. (fingers crossed). You can even pass it on to your kids with some sagely advice.

Our mistakes teach us so much and eventually we get to teach them to others.

Likes DrClaude and Richie Smash
It is easy to get flustered and make a mistake. This mistake, and the time you spent on it will help you remember for next time. Try to use units throughout your calculations can help. You may find my Insights article useful. https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/make-units-work

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Change in scales causing change in gradient?

1. What is meant by "change in scales" causing a change in gradient?

When we talk about "change in scales" in the context of a graph or scientific data, we are referring to a change in the units or increments used on the x-axis or y-axis. This change in scale can lead to a change in the gradient, which is the slope or steepness of a line on a graph.

2. How does a change in scales affect the gradient of a graph?

A change in scales can affect the gradient of a graph because it alters the ratio between the values on the x-axis and y-axis. This can make the line appear steeper or flatter, thus changing the gradient.

3. Can a change in scales cause a change in the direction of the gradient?

Yes, a change in scales can cause a change in the direction of the gradient. This can happen if the change in scales results in a reversal of the x-axis and y-axis values, making the line appear to slope in the opposite direction.

4. How do scientists account for changes in scales when analyzing data?

Scientists must carefully consider the scales used on a graph when analyzing data. They may need to convert units or adjust the increments to accurately interpret the gradient and its significance in their research.

5. Can a change in scales affect the overall interpretation of a data set?

Yes, a change in scales can significantly impact the interpretation of a data set. It can change the perceived trends and relationships between variables, potentially leading to incorrect conclusions if not accounted for properly.