Change in Magnitude of Acceleration

In summary, the ball's acceleration is constant and equal to -9.8 meters per second squared in the y direction, as long as air resistance is negligible.
wpan

Homework Statement

A ball is launched at an angle of 37 degrees from the roof of a building on Earth and falls to the ground. Describe the magnitude of acceleration as the ball travels.

Homework Equations

Acceleration is equal to change in velocity over change in time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the motion of the ball can be split into two components, the vertical and horizontal velocities. The x component has a constant acceleration of zero. The y component has a constant acceleration of -9.8 meters per second squared (i am not sure of this part). From this i concluded that the magnitude of acceleration does not change, but i am not really sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
wpan said:
I thought that the motion of the ball can be split into two components, the vertical and horizontal velocities. The x component has a constant acceleration of zero. The y component has a constant acceleration of -9.8 meters per second squared (i am not sure of this part). From this i concluded that the magnitude of acceleration does not change, but i am not really sure.
Hi wpan, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

That sounds right, providing air resistance can be neglected. (And that it doesn't go waayyyyyy up in the sky so that g varies.)

Last edited by a moderator:
wpan said:

Homework Statement

A ball is launched at an angle of 37 degrees from the roof of a building on Earth and falls to the ground. Describe the magnitude of acceleration as the ball travels.

Homework Equations

Acceleration is equal to change in velocity over change in time.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello wpan. Welcome to PF !

Your answer is correct, if you are ignoring the effect of air resistance. Not only is the magnitude of the acceleration constant, but so is the acceleration vector.

If you include the effect of air resistance, then the answer is much more complicated.

Related to Change in Magnitude of Acceleration

1. What is the definition of "change in magnitude of acceleration"?

Change in magnitude of acceleration refers to the difference in the amount of acceleration experienced by an object over a certain period of time. It is a measure of how much an object's speed is changing.

2. How is the change in magnitude of acceleration calculated?

To calculate the change in magnitude of acceleration, you need to measure the initial and final velocities of the object and the time it took for the object to change its speed. Then, use the formula Δa = (vf - vi) / t, where Δa is the change in acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors can cause a change in magnitude of acceleration?

A change in magnitude of acceleration can be caused by various factors, such as a change in the net force acting on the object, a change in the mass of the object, or a change in the direction of the velocity vector.

4. How does a change in magnitude of acceleration affect an object's motion?

A change in magnitude of acceleration can affect an object's motion by either increasing or decreasing its speed, or by changing its direction of motion. This change in motion is directly proportional to the amount of change in acceleration.

5. Can the change in magnitude of acceleration be negative?

Yes, the change in magnitude of acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is experiencing a decrease in acceleration, which can result in a decrease in speed or a change in direction of motion. A negative change in acceleration is also known as deceleration or negative acceleration.