Change in Linear Momentum with mass and velocity

In summary, a 2700 kg truck traveling north at 37 km/h turned east and accelerated to 47 km/h. The change in kinetic energy was found to be around 88450 J. To find the change in linear momentum, you need to take into account the direction as well. Using vector math, the change in momentum was calculated to be 7400 kg*m/s. As for the direction, it is not stated in the problem but can be calculated using trigonometry. The angle can be measured clockwise from east.
vurk

Homework Statement

A 2700 kg truck traveling north at 37 km/h turns east and accelerates to 47 km/h.

(a) What is the change in the truck's kinetic energy?

(b) What is the magnitude of the change in the linear momentum of the truck?

(c) What is the direction of the change in the linear momentum of the truck?
__° (measured clockwise from east)

Homework Equations

p = m * v

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A is easy enough, i found it to be around 88450 J.

Part B, finding the change in momentum, I tried (m * v) - (M * V), with the latter part being the final speed (after converting to m/s), and got an answer of 7400 kg*m/s, which was wrong. I don't see why this doesn't work, so any explination would be much appreciated.

Part C, I have no clue.. I don't remember seeing any formulas with angles in them.. after searching google i found some confusing looking formulas that have to do with angular momentum, but the problem specifically says linear.. so any insights on that would be appreciated as well, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're messing this up because momentum is a vector! Find the magnitudes of the initial and final momentum -- but then don't just subtract! Make a diagram and do the vector math (it will involve trig functions).

Hello,

First, let's clarify that the change in linear momentum is given by the formula Δp = mΔv, where Δv is the change in velocity. So for part B, the correct calculation would be (2700 kg * 47 km/h) - (2700 kg * 37 km/h), which gives a change in momentum of 27000 kg*m/s. This is because the change in velocity is 10 km/h, which is equivalent to 10,000 m/h, and we need to convert to m/s in order to use the formula.

For part C, you are correct that there are no specific formulas for finding the direction of change in linear momentum. However, we can use the concept of vectors to determine the direction. In this case, the truck is initially traveling north and then turns east, so the change in momentum will be in the direction between north and east. To find this direction, we can use the trigonometric function tangent, which is opposite over adjacent (tanθ = opposite/adjacent). In this case, the opposite side would be the change in velocity in the north-south direction (10,000 m/h) and the adjacent side would be the change in velocity in the east-west direction (0 m/h). Therefore, the angle θ would be tan^-1(10,000/0), which is undefined. This means that the change in momentum is in the east-west direction, or in other words, it is perpendicular to the initial momentum.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Change in Linear Momentum with mass and velocity

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measurement of the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does mass affect linear momentum?

In general, an object with a greater mass will have a greater linear momentum, assuming its velocity remains constant. This means that a heavier object will be harder to stop or change its direction compared to a lighter object.

3. How does velocity affect linear momentum?

Velocity has a direct effect on linear momentum. As velocity increases, so does linear momentum. This means that an object moving faster will have a greater linear momentum compared to an object moving at a slower speed.

4. What is the equation for calculating linear momentum?

The equation for linear momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. This equation shows that as either mass or velocity increases, so does linear momentum.

5. How does the principle of conservation of momentum apply to changes in linear momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction will remain constant. This means that any changes in linear momentum must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in linear momentum of another object in the system.