Change in entropy in an isolated system

In summary, the task is to derive an equation for the change in entropy in an isolated (micro-canonical) system containing N particles during an adiabatic expansion from volume V1 to volume V2. Given that the number of microstates is given by V^N, the work done during the expansion can be calculated using the relationship dW = -NKbT ln (V2/V1) and the fact that the system is thermally isolated means dT = 0.
Jenkz

Homework Statement

Derive an equation for the change in entropy that occurs in an isolated (micro-canonical) system containing N particles, if an adiabatic expansion from volume V1 to volume V1 takes place. Show that the number of microstates is given by V^N.

Homework Equations

Entropy S = K[itex]_{b}[/itex] ln [itex]\Omega[/itex]
Where [itex]\Omega[/itex] is multiplicity, the number of microstates for distinguishable partciles= N!/[itex]\Pi[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]n[itex]_{j}[/itex]!

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I'm not too sure where to start. I know that dQ = 0 as this is an adiabatic expansion.
Meaning dU = dW = - NK[itex]_{b}[/itex]T ln (V2/V1), but I'm not sure if this helps anything.

I also know that a microcanonical system is thermally isolated and has a fixed N. So would thermally isolated mean dT = 0? in which case dU = 0 ... confused.

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
thermally isolated, so Q=0, means all the Work goes into changing the Temperature.
How much Work is done during an adiabatic expansion? (as a function of Volumes)

Is my answer in my first post incorrect?

"I know that dQ = 0 as this is an adiabatic expansion.
Meaning dU = dW = - NKbT ln (V2/V1)"

as dU= dW = (integrating from V1 to V2) - pdV
where P = NKbT / V

Thermally isolated means no heat enters or leaves, thus the expansion will change the temperature.

Ok thanks, but I still don't understand how what to do for this question. :S

Related to Change in entropy in an isolated system

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that represents the amount of energy that is not available for work in a system.

2. What is a change in entropy in an isolated system?

A change in entropy in an isolated system refers to the change in the amount of disorder or randomness in the system when there is no exchange of energy, matter, or information with its surroundings. This means that the total entropy of the system remains constant.

3. How is the change in entropy in an isolated system calculated?

The change in entropy in an isolated system is calculated using the formula ∆S = Q/T, where ∆S is the change in entropy, Q is the heat added to or removed from the system, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

4. What is the relationship between entropy and the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system always increases over time. This means that in any natural process, the total entropy of the system and its surroundings will always increase. Therefore, the change in entropy in an isolated system is a direct result of the second law of thermodynamics.

5. How does a change in entropy affect the stability of a system?

A positive change in entropy indicates an increase in disorder and a decrease in stability, while a negative change in entropy indicates a decrease in disorder and an increase in stability. Therefore, a system with a higher change in entropy will tend to be less stable compared to a system with a lower change in entropy.