Change in energy between system of point charges

In summary, the energy stored by three identical point charges in an equilateral triangle is 15 Joules. If one charge is moved to the midpoint of the opposite side, the new energy stored would be 25 Joules, resulting in a difference of 10 Joules. The formula used was U = (kq^2)/r, and the calculation was based on breaking down the equilateral triangle into smaller triangles.
z0k

Homework Statement

The energy stored by any pair of positive charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them, and directly proportional to their charges. Three identical point charges start at the vertices of an equilateral triangle, and this configuration stores 15 Joules of energy. How much more energy, in Joules, would be stored if one of these charges was moved to the midpoint of the opposite side?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We determine our formula to be $$U = \frac{kq^2}{r}.$$ Then from the given data, for three point charges we have $$U = 3 \frac{kq^2}{r} = 15J.$$ To compute the new position:

$$
U' = k(\frac{q^2}{r/2} + \frac{q^2}{r/2} + \frac{q^2}{r}) \\
U' = 5 \frac{kq^2}{r} \\
U' = 25J \\

$$

So the difference is $$U' - U = 10J.$$

I'm not quite sure if I am going about this the right way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have gone about it almost the right way. I think the problem is where you did 1/2 + 1/2 + 1 = 5 This is not right.

PS welcome to physicsforums! :)

EDIT: I am tired and didn't read your post through properly. Sorry. Your maths was 2 + 2 + 1 = 5 which is of course correct. I think your answer is all OK, why do you think it is wrong?

Sorry, I think my typesetting make the fractions look confusing. I'm still learning to use Tex properly.
I just wanted to make sure that my set up was correct.
Thank you for your help and for the welcome!

yep, no worries :)

I am assuming that the charges are positive, since it doesn't specify in the statement. If they were negative, the energy would decrease as they move closer together. Additionally, I am not sure if the given 15 Joules is the total energy or the energy per charge. If it is the total energy, then each charge would have 5 Joules of energy. In that case, the solution would be $$U' - U = 5J.$$ Overall, it is important to clarify any ambiguities in the given data to ensure an accurate and precise solution.

Related to Change in energy between system of point charges

1. What is the definition of energy in relation to a system of point charges?

The energy of a system of point charges is the work that would be needed to assemble the charges from an infinite distance apart to their current positions, taking into account the repulsion or attraction between the charges.

2. How is the energy between point charges calculated?

The energy between point charges is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can the energy between point charges be negative?

Yes, the energy between point charges can be negative if the charges have opposite signs. This indicates an attractive force between the charges.

4. How does the distance between point charges affect the energy between them?

The energy between point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the energy decreases and as the distance decreases, the energy increases.

5. What is the relationship between energy and potential in a system of point charges?

The potential energy of a system of point charges is the energy that is associated with the configuration of the charges. It is directly related to the electric potential, which is the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space.