Change in direction of velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate acceleration when driving a car and changing direction without changing speed. It is mentioned that acceleration is defined as change in velocity divided by elapsed time, and that the change in velocity must be considered, even if the speed remains constant. It is also noted that velocity is a vector and should be treated as such in calculations. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the change in velocity and acceleration will not always be zero in cases of changing direction without changing speed.
ahmed emad
If I'm driving a car and I have changed my dierction of motion without changing the speed, in this case how to calculate the acceleration of the car in a particular time? I'm not talking about circular motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Acceleration is change in velocity divided by elapsed time. How much elapsed time?

I don't care about this , I care about that the change in velocity will be zero always , and in this case must be accelerarion.

ahmed emad said:
I don't care about this , I care about that the change in velocity will be zero always , and in this case must be accelerarion.

Not true. Speed has no sign, but velocity does. If the initial velocity is +1 in some direction, then the same velocity in the other direction is -1, a change of 2.

ahmed emad said:
I don't care about this
If you want to calculate acceleration then you have to care about the time. It is part of the definition.

Likes sophiecentaur
I know but it's an easy part , the hard part for me to calculate the change in velocity

##\Delta v=v_{final}-v_{initial}##

Don't forget that ##v## is a vector

Ya,but but what if speed not changing only direction

It is still the same formula, but don't forget that v is a vector

Okay , but the change in velocity will be zero and acceleration also will be zero , and that's wrong ,because if there is change in direction so it must be acceleration

So should I make vectors addtion and use pythagorean theorem formula ?

ahmed emad said:
Okay , but the change in velocity will be zero
No, it won't. Write it down and see. Remember v is a vector.

Okay thank you very much

Related to Change in direction of velocity

What is change in direction of velocity?

Change in direction of velocity refers to the alteration in the direction of an object's movement, while its speed remains constant.

What causes a change in direction of velocity?

A change in direction of velocity can be caused by various factors, such as a force acting on an object, a collision with another object, or a change in the direction of the applied force.

How is change in direction of velocity calculated?

The change in direction of velocity can be calculated using the formula: Δv = vf - vi, where Δv is the change in velocity, vf is the final velocity, and vi is the initial velocity.

Is change in direction of velocity the same as acceleration?

No, change in direction of velocity is not the same as acceleration. Acceleration refers to the change in both speed and direction of an object's velocity, while change in direction of velocity only refers to the change in direction.

How does change in direction of velocity affect an object's motion?

Change in direction of velocity can affect an object's motion by altering its trajectory and causing it to change its path or direction of movement. It can also result in changes in the object's position and displacement over time.