Chances of Pursuing MSc in Physics: B.E. Mechanical to Astrophysics/QM?

In summary, with your strong academic background and demonstrated interest in astrophysics and quantum mechanics, you have a good chance of being accepted into a foreign university for your MSc.
gokul.er137
B.E. to Msc?

i am currently doing my B.E. Mechanical Engineering. I am very interested in doing my post graduation MSc in a foreign university in US like MIT, Caltech, Cornell etc (Even others would be wonderful but I can't recollect any as of now:) ). I have very good grades. I have been regularly securing University Rank. Plus, as an extra curricular activity, I have won many chess championships in the district and college. The area I want to do my MSc is in Astrophysics/Quantum Mechanics. Though I have not been directly involved with the subject in my course, I have been working on it otherwise and have even published a couple of papers on Relativity. Plus, I have taken part in many pure science based seminars and have been involved in projects on QM, The Standard Model etc with many professors. Despite having a BE in Mechanical Engineering as the backgrond as mentioned above, what are my chances of doing an MSc in astrophysics, QM, Relativity or similar pure physics subjects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your chances of doing an MSc in astrophysics, quantum mechanics, relativity, or similar pure physics subjects are quite good since you already have good grades, have secured a university rank, and have published papers on relativity. Additionally, your extra-curricular activities, like chess championships, can be used to demonstrate that you have the aptitude and dedication needed for such a program. If you can demonstrate that you have a strong interest and understanding of the subject material, you should have a good chance at being accepted into a top-tier program.

Your chances of pursuing an MSc in Physics with a background in BE Mechanical Engineering are definitely possible and may even give you an advantage in certain areas. Your strong academic record and extracurricular activities demonstrate your dedication and passion for the subject. Additionally, your experience with research and publications in the field of Relativity and participation in science-based seminars and projects show your interest and potential in the areas of Astrophysics and Quantum Mechanics.

However, it is important to note that admission to top universities such as MIT, Caltech, and Cornell is highly competitive and there may be a preference for candidates with a background in Physics or related fields. It would be beneficial for you to highlight your relevant coursework and any additional courses you have taken in Physics during your undergraduate studies. You may also want to consider taking some foundational courses in Physics before applying to strengthen your knowledge and skills in the subject.

Furthermore, it would be helpful to showcase your interest and experience in Astrophysics and Quantum Mechanics through your statement of purpose and letters of recommendation. You can also reach out to professors at the universities you are interested in to discuss your background and potential for success in their programs.

Overall, while your background in BE Mechanical Engineering may present some challenges, your strong academic record and passion for the subject make you a strong candidate for an MSc in Physics in the areas of Astrophysics, Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, or similar pure physics subjects. With proper preparation and a strong application, you have a good chance of being accepted into a top university for your postgraduate studies.

Related to Chances of Pursuing MSc in Physics: B.E. Mechanical to Astrophysics/QM?

1. What is the advantage of pursuing an MSc in Physics after completing a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering?

The advantage of pursuing an MSc in Physics after completing a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering is that it allows you to further specialize and deepen your knowledge in a specific area of physics. It also opens up opportunities for research and career advancement in fields such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics.

2. Can I pursue an MSc in Physics even if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an MSc in Physics with a different undergraduate degree, but it may require taking some additional courses to fulfill the prerequisites for the program. It is important to check the specific requirements of the program you are interested in and discuss your background with an advisor.

3. How long does it typically take to complete an MSc in Physics after a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering?

The time it takes to complete an MSc in Physics after a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering varies depending on the program and your course load. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete the degree.

4. What are some potential career opportunities with an MSc in Physics in the fields of astrophysics and quantum mechanics?

With an MSc in Physics, you can pursue careers in research and development in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, and telecommunications. You can also work in academia as a researcher, professor, or lecturer. Additionally, there are opportunities in government agencies and national laboratories.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should have before pursuing an MSc in Physics in the fields of astrophysics and quantum mechanics?

While it is not necessary to have previous knowledge or experience in these fields, having a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science can be beneficial. It is also important to have a strong interest and passion for these areas of study, as they can be challenging and require dedication and hard work.