Whole meme thing is friggin ridiculous

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "memes" and its origins as a theory proposed by Richard Dawkins. The participants debate the use of the word "meme" and its distinction from the word "idea". They also discuss how memes can evolve and spread, and whether the concept is valid or just a way for people to gain fame and money. Some argue that the idea of memes creates a dichotomy between the theoretical and everyday use of the word "idea". Ultimately, the conversation highlights the ongoing discussion and continued propagation of the "meme" concept.
Adam
whole "meme" thing is friggin ridiculous

First, let me state a personal bias: I think the whole "meme" thing is friggin ridiculous. All from a non-theory which was barely mentioned in one book? Now, on to the questions.

Why use the word "meme" when we already had the perfectly good word "idea"? Is it not simply an attempt to gain fame and money by inventing a new word for something we already had? In what ways does "meme" differ from "idea", given that ideas are mental constructs or patterns or such which can be communicated between people, can spread, can be acted upon, et cetera?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=meme
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=theory
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=idea

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe the novel idea (heh) regarding memes is that it calls attention to how ideas evolve and spread according to the same principles as natural selection. Plus, while "idea" connotes a rather specific kind of mental event, a meme can be anything from a TV commercial jingle to a behavioral mannerism.

I think an idea is a dynamic process, it is something that happens and changes common thinking.

A theory is an elaborate idea.

While a meme is static, passed down generations. Static, but subject to mutations that is. You know that childs game, you start with a story and it is whispered in the ear from one child to the other, at the other end of the line the story has mutated, but it is still the same entity.

Last edited:
Chinese Whispers its called.

I think the point of calling them a meme is to create a dichotomy between the theoretical use of the concept, and the daily use of the word idea. For instance, when I say 'Meme' you know I am talking about the concept of ideas evolving, changing from person to person and spreading throughout the minds of people. If I say 'idea', then it is most likely that I am just talking about a single idea that I have just had or that someone else had. One creates a context of evolution, one creates a context completely separate from evolution.

And I just want to point out that although it started off as a brief mention at the back of a book, doesn't mean it has no basis. It isn't like people have gone "Oh my GOD, Richard Dawkins mentioned something, we have to worship it for no good reason". What has happened, is people saw this idea and went "Hey, you know, that's not a bad idea...let me think about that a little." Just because Dawkins took it no further, doesn't mean other people shouldn't.

Yeah, AFAIK, Dawkins has not presented memes as a new theory...just a speculation/hypothesis.

Originally posted by Another God
Chinese Whispers its called purple monkey dishwasher

It's also called the game of "Telephone".

It isn't like people have gone "Oh my GOD, Richard Dawkins mentioned something, we have to worship it for no good reason". What has happened, is people saw this idea and went "Hey, you know, that's not a bad idea...let me think about that a little." Just because Dawkins took it no further, doesn't mean other people shouldn't.

And thus the "meme" meme propagates...

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
And thus the "meme" meme propagates...

What about the "'meme' meme" meme?

Seriously though, the fact that there are memes of memes makes this an imperfect analogy for the evolutionary workings of genes, doesn't it?

1. What is a "meme"?

A meme is a cultural concept or behavior that spreads quickly through imitation, usually via the internet. It can be an image, video, phrase, or idea that is shared and replicated by individuals, often with humorous or satirical intent.

2. How did the whole "meme" thing start?

The term "meme" was coined by biologist Richard Dawkins in 1976 to describe the spread of cultural ideas and behaviors. However, the internet and social media platforms have greatly accelerated the creation and dissemination of memes in recent years.

3. What makes the "meme" phenomenon so popular?

Memes are popular because they are relatable, shareable, and often humorous. They allow people to express themselves and connect with others through a common cultural reference.

4. Is there any scientific research on memes?

Yes, there is ongoing research on the psychology and sociology of memes, as well as their impact on society and communication. Some scientists argue that memes can serve as a form of cultural evolution, shaping our beliefs and behaviors.

5. Why do some people find the "meme" trend ridiculous?

Some people may find the constant creation and sharing of memes as trivial or a waste of time. Others may criticize the potential negative impact of memes, such as spreading false information or promoting harmful stereotypes.