Chance of 2 overlapping matrices

In summary, the probability of a second matrix having d 'ones' on the same spot as the first matrix is calculated by taking into account the number of 'ones' in each matrix and their positions, without considering the zeros. This is achieved by using the formula \frac{c!}{d!(c-d)!}\prod_{i=0}^{c-1}\frac{1}{ab-i}.
Theraven1982
[SOLVED] chance of 2 overlapping matrices

I have a simple problem, but I'm not sure if my answer is correct :P.
I have a matrix, like this:

0 0 0 0 1
0 1 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0
0 0 0 0 0

i.e. an axb matrix, with c 'ones'. If I now take another matrix, with the same size, what's the probability that d 'ones' are on the same spot?
I thought like this:
the chance that 1 'one' is on the same spot is 1/(ab)
the chance that the 2nd 'one' is on the same spot is 1/(ab-1), etc.
the order is not important, so if the 2nd matrix also has c ones, we add a factor of c!

So the chance that a 2nd matrix has d 'ones' (d<c) on the same spot as the first matrix is
[tex]\frac{c!}{d!(c-d)!}\prod_{i=0}^{c-1}\frac{1}{ab-i}[/tex]

But I'm not feeling completely comfortable with this. Say matrix 1 has 4 ones. Matrix 2 may have 6 ones, but a maximum of 4 on the same place. (in reality, approximately 99% of the matrix are zeros). Is this still a correct way then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or should I take into account the fact that most of the matrix are zeros? The chance that a 2nd matrix has d 'ones' (d<c) on the same spot as the first matrix is\frac{c!}{d!(c-d)!}\prod_{i=0}^{c-1}\frac{1}{ab-i}This is the correct answer. The fact that most of the matrix are zeros does not affect the result.

Related to Chance of 2 overlapping matrices

What is the chance of 2 overlapping matrices?

The chance of 2 overlapping matrices depends on the size and values of the matrices as well as their positions relative to each other.

How do you calculate the chance of 2 overlapping matrices?

The chance of 2 overlapping matrices can be calculated using the formula (A + B - AB)/A, where A and B represent the number of elements in each matrix and AB represents the number of elements that overlap.

Can matrices overlap more than once?

Yes, matrices can overlap more than once depending on their size and positions. It is possible for multiple elements to overlap between the two matrices.

What is the significance of 2 matrices overlapping?

The significance of 2 matrices overlapping can vary depending on the context. In some cases, it may indicate a relationship or similarity between the data represented in the matrices. In other cases, it may simply be a coincidence.

Can overlapping matrices provide useful information?

Yes, overlapping matrices can provide useful information in certain situations. For example, in data analysis, overlapping matrices may reveal patterns or correlations between different sets of data.