Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Champ's question at Yahoo! Answers (Power series)

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Here is the question:

Find a power series for y = e^x^2 about x = 0(Manipulate common Maclaurin series for e^x). Use this power series to show that y = e^x^2 is a solution to the differential equation y' - 2xy = 0.
Please help and show your steps. I've been trying to solve it for hours!
Here is a link to the question:

Find a power series... Calc Help? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Hello Champ,

From $e^x=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}$ forall $x\in\mathbb{R}$ we immediately get $y=e^{x^2}=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}$ for all $x\in\mathbb{R}$. Now, using the derivation term by term:

$$\begin{aligned}y'-2xy&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-2x\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n+1}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}\\&=0\end{aligned}$$

If you have further questions you can post them in the Calculus section.

calcboi

Mar 31, 2013
Hello Champ,

From $e^x=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}$ forall $x\in\mathbb{R}$ we immediately get $y=e^{x^2}=\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}$ for all $x\in\mathbb{R}$. Now, using the derivation term by term:

$$\begin{aligned}y'-2xy&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-2x\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^{2n}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2nx^{2n-1}}{n!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n+1}}{n!}\\&=\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}-\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{2x^{2n-1}}{(n-1)!}\\&=0\end{aligned}$$

If you have further questions you can post them in the Calculus section.
Thanks, I got most of that but the part I was stuck on was how to derive n!. It appears that you when you derived it, n! remained unchanged. It this true?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks, I got most of that but the part I was stuck on was how to derive n!. It appears that you when you derived it, n! remained unchanged. It this true?
Yes, it is true. Take into account that $1/n!$ is a constant.

calcboi

Mar 31, 2013
Thanks, I see how that works if its a constant. Anyways, I have a question on which test to use for series n=1 to infinity for (-1)^n / (n^3)-ln(n) in order to determine convergence/divergence. I am pretty sure I determined it converges through the Alternating Series Test but I am not sure whether it is conditional or absolute. I tried the Direct Comparison Test but it was inconclusive, and I am stuck now on what to do. Can you please help?

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks, I see how that works if its a constant. Anyways, I have a question on which test to use for series n=1 to infinity for (-1)^n / (n^3)-ln(n) in order to determine convergence/divergence. I am pretty sure I determined it converges through the Alternating Series Test but I am not sure whether it is conditional or absolute. I tried the Direct Comparison Test but it was inconclusive, and I am stuck now on what to do. Can you please help?
No problem calcboi we'll help you. But please, ask this question in the Calculus forum, according to rule #8 of MHB. Thank you.

calcboi

Mar 31, 2013
Oops, sorry. I will ask the question in the Calc thread.