Challenging Physics problem of the week. Do as much as you can. Thanks

In summary: Calculate the time using the given speed and distance.In summary, the conversation involves two different problems. The first problem focuses on Tom Jager's swimming speed and a potential race against Michael Phelps. The second problem involves a car's acceleration and final speed. In the first problem, Tom's average speed is calculated to be 2.29 m/s. If he could maintain this pace, it would take him approximately 23.3 minutes to swim one mile. In the race against Phelps, Phelps would win by a distance of 0.5 meters. In the second problem, the car's average acceleration is calculated to be 26.67 (mi/h)/s or 12 m/s^2. After 1.65
geo951

Homework Statement

1. Tom Jager swam the 50 m free in 21.81 seconds.

a. Calculate Tom's average speed
b. If Tom could continue this incredible pace, how long (in minutes) would it take him to swim one mile?
c. Tom races Micheal Phelps. If Phelps swims at an average of 2.35 m/s and the race is 50 meters in length, who wins and by what distance?

2. A car can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 2.7 seconds.

a. Calculate the average acceleration of this car in (mi/h)/s and in m/s^2
b. How fast will the car be traveling after 1.65 seconds
c. How long would it take the car to accelerate from 10 mi/h to 35 mi/h?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi geo951,
Welcome to PF.
We are here to help the students in their home work difficulties, not receive the challenges. If you have any difficulties in the above problems, show your attempts.

1a. 50m/21.81= 2.29 m/s

I just need help on how to do the rest. You do not have to do it all for me.

geo951 said:
1a. 50m/21.81= 2.29 m/s

I just need help on how to do the rest. You do not have to do it all for me.
Write down the relevant kinematic equations. Find the conversion of mile to meter.

Related to Challenging Physics problem of the week. Do as much as you can. Thanks

1. What is the "Challenging Physics problem of the week"?

The "Challenging Physics problem of the week" is a weekly problem set created by a team of physicists to challenge and engage students and enthusiasts in the field of physics.

2. How difficult are the problems in the "Challenging Physics problem of the week"?

The difficulty level of the problems varies each week, but they are designed to be challenging and require a strong understanding of physics concepts and problem-solving skills.

3. Who can participate in the "Challenging Physics problem of the week"?

Anyone with an interest in physics can participate in the "Challenging Physics problem of the week". It is open to students, teachers, and enthusiasts of all ages and backgrounds.

4. Are there any rewards for participating in the "Challenging Physics problem of the week"?

Yes, there are rewards for participants who successfully solve the problems. These rewards may include recognition on the website, prizes, or even opportunities to collaborate with the team in creating future problems.

5. How can I submit my solution to the "Challenging Physics problem of the week"?

Solutions can be submitted through the designated submission form on the website. Make sure to follow the guidelines and provide a clear and thorough explanation of your solution.