Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Challenges & Puzzles

lfdahl

Nov 26, 2013
Hi, MHB Staff!

Just a short question concerning the "Challenges & Puzzles" forum:

I find it very instructive and challenging to feed in with math challenges, but I am a little worried, that the forum has too much of "lfdahl" for the time being. (For example, I miss anemone ´s challenges.)
I can turn down my activity any time, if it is helpful to ensure more diversity in the forum.
Thankyou for any advice in this matter!

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Hi, MHB Staff!

I find it very instructive and challenging to feed in with math challenges, but I am a little worried, that the forum has too much of "lfdahl" for the time being. (For example, I miss anemone ´s challenges.)
I can turn down my activity any time, if it is helpful to ensure more diversity in the forum.
Please keep going! You have been coming up with some great challenges. This has been particularly welcome when MHB has been having a quiet period during the summer. But don't take that as a hint to turn down your activity as the new term starts!

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I agree that you need not worry about how many challenges you've previously posted...whenever you find one you wish to post, go for it. :)

lfdahl

Nov 26, 2013
Thankyou for your comments, Opalg and MarkFL .
OK, I´ll leave the worries behind and keep on posting challenges.:)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
...(For example, I miss anemone ´s challenges.)...
I wanted to take a moment here to speak about anemone 's contributions to our "Challenge Questions and Puzzles" forum...because she's far too modest to toot her own horn (and she shouldn't have to), and her contributions have been truly amazing.

During the period from March 6th, 2012 to January 3rd, 2017 (a period of 1764 days), she posted 738 challenge problems...this is roughly 1 problem every 2.4 days...for almost 5 years! Those of you posting challenges, and a BIG thank you to each and every one, know that posting challenges is no trivial affair. First you have to find the problem, then make a reasonable effort to determine whether it's already been posted, solve the problem, and then grade the submissions, and because problems can often be solved in very different ways, this can be daunting in and of itself.

anemone has posted nearly 45% of all the challenge problems posted by MHB's community and awarded the "MHB Challenges Award" 5 times running. Her tireless efforts to help promote activity at MHB and to provide entertaining challenges to the community as a whole has simply been astounding...and greatly appreciated.

She was promoted to our administrative staff in May of 2016, and has been handling our secondary school POTW since February 3rd, 2014 each and every week without missing a beat. Late in 2016, she made a career change and so her time for online activities has been somewhat reduced, and posting challenge problems is not something she can reasonably do at this point.

So, it is nice to see others continuing to post challenge problems, and to carry forward this torch which anemone has played a major role in continuing to keep so brightly lit. Our active challenges forum is definitely one of the things that helps make MHB stand head and shoulders above our competition.

I want to personally thank anemone for all of her hard work in this area and all other areas (as well as for referring me to MHB shortly after it began). Her stamina and conscientious efforts in everything she does for MHB are truly an inspiration. (Yes)

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Hi, MHB Staff!

Hi lfdahl ,

I have been meaning to write to you to tell you how much I appreciate your recent continuous effort to post challenges at MHB. If you are up to it, please feel okay to post as much challenges as you would like, just know that we welcome each and every challenge with open arms. (Happy)

I wanted to take a moment here to speak about anemone 's contributions to our "Challenge Questions and Puzzles" forum...because she's far too modest to toot her own horn (and she shouldn't have to), and her contributions have been truly amazing.

During the period from March 6th, 2012 to January 3rd, 2017 (a period of 1764 days), she posted 738 challenge problems...this is roughly 1 problem every 2.4 days...for almost 5 years! Those of you posting challenges, and a BIG thank you to each and every one, know that posting challenges is no trivial affair. First you have to find the problem, then make a reasonable effort to determine whether it's already been posted, solve the problem, and then grade the submissions, and because problems can often be solved in very different ways, this can be daunting in and of itself.

anemone has posted nearly 45% of all the challenge problems posted by MHB's community and awarded the "MHB Challenges Award" 5 times running. Her tireless efforts to help promote activity at MHB and to provide entertaining challenges to the community as a whole has simply been astounding...and greatly appreciated.

She was promoted to our administrative staff in May of 2016, and has been handling our secondary school POTW since February 3rd, 2014 each and every week without missing a beat. Late in 2016, she made a career change and so her time for online activities has been somewhat reduced, and posting challenge problems is not something she can reasonably do at this point.

So, it is nice to see others continuing to post challenge problems, and to carry forward this torch which anemone has played a major role in continuing to keep so brightly lit. Our active challenges forum is definitely one of the things that helps make MHB stand head and shoulders above our competition.

I want to personally thank anemone for all of her hard work in this area and all other areas (as well as for referring me to MHB shortly after it began). Her stamina and conscientious efforts in everything she does for MHB are truly an inspiration. (Yes)
Hey MarkFL , I am genuinely flattered by all that you said of me. Thanks for giving me such a high honor in your very kind words. I appreciate it very much!