Challenge VII: A bit of number theory solved by Boorglar

In summary, the purpose of "Challenge VII: A bit of number theory solved by Boorglar" is to solve a mathematical problem using number theory concepts and techniques. Boorglar is a fictional character and expert in number theory, and the challenge is named after them as a tribute to their expertise. Prior knowledge of number theory is not necessary to solve the challenge, and any programming language can be used. To check the correctness of a solution, the challenge provides test cases and participants can also seek guidance from the challenge creator.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
This new challenge was suggested by jostpuur. It is rather number theoretic.

Assume that [itex]q\in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] is an arbitrary positive rational number. Does there exist a natural number [itex]L\in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that

[tex]Lq=99…9900…00[/tex]

with some amounts of nines and zeros? Prove or find a counterexample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So we want to get a number of the form [itex] L \frac{a}{b} = 10^m(10^n-1) [/itex].
Write [itex] a = 2^x5^yd [/itex], where d is relatively prime with 10.

Then [itex] L = \frac{10^m}{2^x5^y} \frac{10^n-1}{d}[/itex].
The left fraction is obviously an integer if we choose m larger than max( x, y ).
The right fraction can be made an integer since d is relatively prime with 10, and therefore 10 is in the multiplicative group modulo d. Let n be the order of 10 in U(d), then [itex]10^n-1[/itex] is divisible by d so L is an integer.

Well, that was fast. :-p

Yeah I tend to be good at those types of problems haha.
Ah by the way I forgot the b multiplying the fractions but it doesn't really matter.

This is a very interesting and challenging problem in number theory. It involves the concept of rational numbers and their relationship to natural numbers. In order to solve this problem, we must first understand the properties of rational numbers.

A rational number is any number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, such as 3/4 or 5/6. In order to prove or find a counterexample for this problem, we must consider the properties of rational numbers and how they interact with natural numbers.

After analyzing the problem, I believe that there exists a natural number L for any positive rational number q. This is because any rational number can be written as a decimal with a finite number of digits after the decimal point. For example, 3/4 can be written as 0.75 and 5/6 can be written as 0.8333... with the 3 repeating infinitely.

Therefore, if we multiply any rational number q by a large enough natural number L, we can create a decimal with a repeating pattern of nines and zeros. For example, if we take q=3/4 and L=100, we get 75 which is equivalent to 0.75 with two trailing zeros. Similarly, if we take q=5/6 and L=1000, we get 833 which is equivalent to 0.833 with three trailing zeros.

In order to prove this more rigorously, we can use the concept of continued fractions. Every rational number has a unique continued fraction representation, which is a finite or infinite sequence of integers. By manipulating this continued fraction, we can find a natural number L that satisfies the given equation.

In conclusion, I believe that there exists a natural number L for any positive rational number q such that Lq has a repeating pattern of nines and zeros. However, further analysis and proof may be required to confirm this solution.

Related to Challenge VII: A bit of number theory solved by Boorglar

1. What is the purpose of "Challenge VII: A bit of number theory solved by Boorglar"?

The purpose of this challenge is to apply number theory concepts and techniques to solve a mathematical problem.

2. Who is Boorglar and why is this challenge named after them?

Boorglar is a fictional character created by the challenge creator. The character represents a skilled mathematician who specializes in number theory, and the challenge is named after them as a tribute to their expertise in this field.

3. Do I need to have prior knowledge of number theory to solve this challenge?

Some knowledge of number theory may be helpful, but it is not a requirement. The challenge is designed to be solvable for anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and problem-solving skills.

4. Can I use any programming language to solve this challenge?

Yes, you can use any programming language of your choice to solve this challenge. However, the challenge may be easier to solve using a language that has built-in functions for number theory operations.

5. How can I check if my solution to the challenge is correct?

The challenge will provide a set of test cases that your solution must pass in order to be considered correct. You can also discuss your solution with other participants or seek guidance from the challenge creator if you are unsure about your solution.